Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Phytocitrus

My favorite hair care line is the nature based line, Phyto. I have dry, color treated hair that I straighten every single day. So, I am always interested in new hair products and consistently try almost every new product that comes out on the market. I have very few hair products that I am loyal to. As far as I’m concerned, something new will always come out at the beginning of every season and usually it will be comparable or better than something that I have previously used. Phyto is one line that has done almost the impossible…make fantastic products that I repurchase over and over again.

Everyone knows that if a woman colors her hair, she must begin to use products made specially for color treated hair. Products for color treated hair are meant to protect the new hue and to help treat some of the damage that occurred during the dyeing process. The dyeing techniques are based on based on chemical reactions that modify the hair structure, and despite careful neutralization, alkalinity can remain. The scales of the hair can remain open, which leads to a loss of radiance and poor color function. The above explanation I found on the Phyto site. I choose to find the explanation on this site because it reflects what the Phytocitrus line is trying to heal.

There are three products in the Phytocitrus line; a shampoo, a mask, and a leave-in spray. The shampoo contains grapefruit extract to neutralize the alkalinity. Alkalinity occurs when the chemicals used in the procedure change the hair follicle’s chemical makeup and the pH of the follicle is no longer neutral (as unprocessed hair is). The grapefruit is very acidic and helps the follicles to go back to their neutral state.

The mask contains grapefruit extract and plant butters to hydrate. The leave-in mist contains lotus flower to hydrate and protect the hair. The leave-in is not hydrating enough on its own, so I do have to put a separate leave-in on my ends.

My hair and I love the products from this line. I have been able to extend the time between my colorings with the regular use of this line and I have even had someone ask me if I had freshly dyed my hair after one night of using all three.

No comments: