Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Youth Movement" August 2008 Allure

The August issue of Allure contains an article in it entitled “Youth Movement”. The general gist of this article is that signs of aging can occur a lot sooner than what doctors and the beauty industry have always thought. The focus of this article is to tell women how to ward off and how to help to treat these signs without having to resort to the plastic surgeon.

The article starts by talking about photoaging and how 80% of the signs of aging are caused by UV exposure. I loved reading this because I am obsessed with covering myself in SPF 30 every single day and many people think I am crazy for it. It is really nice to be proved right for once.

The part of this article that I found to be the most interesting was the part about lines that form around the mouth. These lines seem to impossible to prevent since they occur when talking, drinking through straws, and the area is hard to consistently keep covered with SPF. The part that really made me think was about drinking through straws. I was at restaurant last night with a friend and I was served a drink with a straw in it and I realized how hard this would be to get around. However, one thing I can control is consistently exfoliating this area and applying moisturizer to it.

The second part of this article that really caught my interest is the section on dull skin. This talks about how when the early 30s are reached, skin will begin to lose its radiance and cell turnover is slowed and the skin then begins to appear dull, dry, and patchy. I never realized that by using a mechanical scrub on my face, I might actually not be helping it as much as I thought I was. The article states that people rarely ever can exfoliate their face evenly with a scrub of this type. The article recommends the use of an AHA peal to evenly exfoliate all areas of the face. I have only used AHAs once in my life and I only used that product once a week. I am intrigued about the Juice Beauty product that this article recommends for sensitive skin.

I feel like this article could scare some people into running right to plastic surgeon to prevent signs of aging. However, this article gives a very simple option on how to help prevent the signs of aging…wear an SPF 30 every single day!

No comments: