Tuesday, February 24, 2009

New Mascara Number 2 - Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Mascara



The second mascara that I decided to try is the one that I was looking forward to the most. And in my experience, when I really look forward to using something, I usually get let down because I build it up to be something so big that no product can ever live up to. I am referring to Givenchy’s Phenomen’eyes, the mascara with the brush that resembles a medieval torture device. This mascara has been lauded and highly criticized at the same time, producing a somewhat a cult like following.


Givenchy has a ton of information available on this product so I have a lot to review and write about. First is Givenchy’s overall description of the mascara, “Its innovative new design and high-precision application method will make all existing mascaras a thing of the past. For many women, applying mascara is still a difficult process. Without a steady hand, it is hard to get precise results. That’s why Givenchy has taken a leaf out of this daring new design offering a brand-new way to apply mascara. Givenchy’s groundbreaking patented spherical brush reaches everywhere. It simplifies application, for perfectly shaped eyes and spectacular panoramic results.”


Here is their description of the ball shaped brush, “The Phenomen’Eyes brush is made of an elastomer that helps it glide over the lashes. Shaped like a perfect sphere, with carefully distributed bristles, it offers precise application of the product and optimal separation of the lashes, with no clumping. Its spherical brush allows for high-precision application with freedom of movement through 360°. It seeks out every single lash, even the most difficult to reach, coating and shaping them from the base to the very tip.”


The description of the texture of the mascara, “The formula is based on water and a cutting-edge polymer. When the mascara is applied, the water evaporates, allowing the polymer to put its shaping, separating and lengthening powers to work in an optimal way. A dense, structured network forms on the lashes, which are shaped into a lasting supple curl with a spectacular panoramic effect. The formula contains D-Panthenol, which fortifies and restructures the lashes from the inside, making them denser and thicker.”


This was the hardest mascara so far that I have ever used. First, the directions said to start at the outside of the eye and sweep it all over the lashes, working your way to the inside of your eyes. The first time that I used it, I started by doing that then took the brush and starting at the inside of the eye, did the exact same thing to the in the opposite direction. Not a good idea - I ended up with about two huge, clumpy lashes. The best way to use this product is to start with the strategy that the company recommends then to take the ball and go over each lash by itself.
The result - huge, perfectly defined lashes!


Of course there are several things about this mascara that I don’t love. The formula is very wet and I feel that it never really dries so it smudges and clumps all the time. Also, it is hard to remove at night and usually takes some scrubbing with the eye makeup remover. Even after the scrubbing, I am still usually left with some traces of black residue under my eyes. This mascara gives a very dramatic effect and I have found that it can overwhelm some of the more minimal makeup looks that I do sometimes. So I alternate this mascara with Awake Stardom Mascara (more on this one later).


The verdict - I love this mascara for dramatic lashes and I feel that the drawbacks are not enough to stop me from loving it. I do recommend to alternate this mascara with another one because it gives a very dramatic effect. This one really didn’t disappoint like I was afraid that it would.
photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: