Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kat Von D

I am forever in the quest to become more "hardcore" even though i am Charlotte York through and through. My quest for this has lead me to ogling everyone's tattoos and covering myself with Ed Hardy temporary tattoos in order to try and live up to this ideal.

So when Kat Von D (legendary LA based tattoo artist) made her own makeup line for Sephora, I was super excited. Her personal trademarks (other than numerous tattoos) is smokey cat eyes and red lips, two looks that I own the makeup to do but have a very hard time carrying off. Hearing about the creation of this collection gave me hope that I could buy this collection and somehow be able to pull this look off (don't ask me why).

I saw a lipstick shade in last month's Lucky, which just grew my excitement for the launch of this line. Kat herself designed all the colors and based the packaging on various tattoo designs that she has done for clients. Well the line is now out in Sephora and I wanted to witness it for myself. This was easier said than done.

Sephora number one - This one only had a couple shades of lipstick and nothing else.

Sephora number two - This store only had a couple of lipstick shades, the eyeliners, and the testers of the eye palettes.

Sephora number three - This store had the lipsticks, the eyeliners, the brush set, and one eye shadow palette.

There are several pieces that I wanted the instant that I saw them; the Ludwig Eye Palette, the Romantico and Puro Amor Autograph Liquid Eyeliner, and Painted Love Lipstick in Hellbent and Underage Red. When the last Sephora that I visited actually had all of these products, I was so happy and ready to buy everything. Until I began to try to the products.

The colors look fantastic in the package but once they are applied to the skin, it becomes evident that this is a drugstore quality makeup line that has been dressed up with fantastic packaging and Kat Von D putting her on the products. The texture of the lipsticks is dry and crumbly and the pigment leaves much to be desired when applied. The eye shadows were much of the same quality. The liquid eyeliners were little to no different than any other that I have ever tried and may in fact be of worst quality than others I have tried.

With acute disappointment, I left the store empty handed and changed my whole view of the line. The colors look good in the package but leave much to be desired when applied to the skin. I would advise staying with MAC, NARS, Smashbox, and Make Up Forever to combine great quality with eye popping shades.

No comments: