Sunday, April 5, 2009

DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom



The entire spring of my junior year of college, I wore DKNY’s Be Delicious fragrance almost religiously. Out of my entire perfume collection at the time, I found myself reaching for it almost every single day, which is quite a feat in a collection the size of mine. Not surprisingly, I went through the bottle much quicker than I have any others in the past. Since then I have always intended to get myself another bottle and I discovered that I like the Red Delicious fragrance almost as much as the original (the Night version not so much), but somehow I have just never gotten around to it. Partly, this is due to the fact that I have so much perfume already and I have been trying in vain to use some of it down before I end up with a collection of alcohol in pretty jars instead of perfume.


The original Be Delicious is light and fresh and apple scented without being overwhelming. Here is the description of the fragrance from Sephora, “A modern feast for the senses. Served in a sleek metal and glass apple bottle, this juicy fragrance combines the scent of apple with a sophisticated blend of exotic flowers and sensual woods. Like the city that inspired it, Be Delicious celebrates individuality with refreshing spirit.” And here are the notes of the fragrance, “American Apple, Cucumber, Grapefruit, Candid Magnolia, Tuberose, White Muguet, Rose, Violet, Sandalwood, Tender Skin Accord, Blonde Woods, White Amber.” This scent is the perfect blend of fruits and light floral and the bottle is fantastic. The ironic part is that I never would have tried anything with this many fruit notes in it had I not been given a sample of this when buying some other fragrance. I learned then that sometimes it pays off to break of out of my comfort zone.


Red Delicious is slightly less on the fresh side and more on the heavier and full bodied side of this kind of fragrance. It has less of crispness and seems to be richer in tone. Here is the description of the scent from the Sephora site, “DKNY introduces a second bite of temptation with a new, limited-edition scent. Aptly named DKNY Red Delicious, this sexy fragrance is a bit more daring, a bit more tantalizing - completely irresistible. A glittering champagne accord shimmers with exotic lychee, while red raspberry flirtatiously mingles with crisp apple. The heart intensifies with rich, velvety rose combined with lush notes of drenched violet petals, evolving to a rich, sensual blend of vanilla bean crushed with warm patchouli and a luminous amber note. Capping off the sultry experience, a sensual skin accord mixes with raspberry for a soft kiss of sweetness.” And here are the notes, “Champagne Accord, Lychee, Red Raspberry, Apple, Rose, Vanilla Bean, Patchouli, Amber, Sensual Skin Accord, Raspberry.” This one is listed as a “floral oriental” instead of a citrus and that is evident with the vanilla bean, patchouli, and amber notes that make up the base of the fragrance.


But to my excitement, DKNY has introduced a new version of this fragrance this spring. It is called DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom and it falls more on the floral side of the fragrance spectrum without losing the crispness of the original. The bottle is the same shape but it is pale pink instead of bright green or red. I think that this was the most exciting fragrance launch for me so far this spring. Sephora has been sold out of this fragrance ever since I first saw it and I am really excited that the website has restocked. Hers is the description from the website, “DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom is a radiant new fragrance that marries freshness, vibrancy, and femininity. A blend of sparkling grapefruit, cassis, and sunkissed apricot meets a blooming floral heart of sheer muguet and petally rose wrapped in luminous jasmine. A base of juicy apple, mingled with lingering blond woods and smooth skin accord, completes the irresistibly sensual experience of the essence.” And the notes are right here, “Grapefruit, Cassis, Apricot, Muguet, Rose, Jasmine, Apple, Blond Woods, Smooth Skin Accord.” This version is the heaviest on the rose and that is what makes it my favorite of the three.


I really must go and get the new fragrance as soon as I can. But thinking it over, the new fragrance makes me want the original and the original makes me want the Red version. Dear DKNY…you have roped me in like you will never know with this fragrance line…Love, Erin.
photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: