Sunday, April 12, 2009

Jonathan Silky Dirt



I am using a product right now that I never really knew quite why it existed. I am referring to Jonathan’s Silky Dirt. This product was recommended to me when I was looking for a conditioner, not a styling product. I had set out to find a new hydrating conditioner and after helping me to find one, the sales associate made me a small sample of this product, telling me how wonderful it was to smooth hair. I was rather skeptical because I didn’t know much about that product at the time and hadn’t heard any real reviews on it.


I was familiar with the original Dirt product and how well it worked to define shorter hairstyles. Silky Dirt has a thinner, softer texture and can be used in multiple ways to create different looks. It falls under the category of being a “shine and define” crème. Here is the description from Jonathan product, “A unique grooming crème that texturizes, defines and shines with a smooth, lasting finish. Nourishing ingredients shield hair from damage and color fading. This silky texturizing crème packed with Sunflower Phytoceramides restructures and protects hair cuticles while a gentle smoothing shine blend adds shine and texture. Cucumber/Rose Essential Water™ nourishes all types of hair. Shea and Wild Mango butters condition and soften, while a blend of Sweet Almond & Soy Proteins improves manageability. Pomegranate Extract mixed with Botanical UV filters nourish, revitalize, and protect hair and prevent color fading.” Jonathan himself states that he uses this product on long hair to create shine and definition.


This product works best for me when I use it on damp hair before blow drying. The product is very concentrated so I only need a small dab and then I emulsify it in my hands to liquefy it. This product is very easy to overdo, so a little dab really is all that you need. Any more than that and you will resemble an oil slick. Trust me, I found out the hard way!


However, when used correctly, the results are nothing short of fantastic. My hair is sleek, soft, and super shiny. I have very think, coarse hair so I can take a heavier product on it. This might be too much for someone with finer hair even when a very small amount is used. This product smells like sweet almond oil and cake so it is either a love it or hate type of scent. Many people (like myself) fall in love with it, but the complete opposite effect ca also occur. And this product is one of the strongest scented styling products that I have ever used, I can smell it on my hair all day long.


Wherever she is now, I owe that sales associate a Grey Goose martini…

photo courtesy of Jonathan Product

No comments: