Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Kat Von D Saint and Sinner Fragrances

As I have discussed in the past, I normally do not go for celebrity fragrances (with very few exceptions) and tend to find them overrated and low quality. However, once in a while, a celebrity releases a fragrance that makes me sit up and take notice. Honestly, I am on the fench about whether to qualify these new Kat Von D fragrances under celebrity fragrances because she already has a makeup collection out and these could be seen as an addition to the makeup line instead of just another item to slap her name on. Maybe it might be better if I didn't even look at them from a celebrity fragrance point of view. On the flipside to that, she is using her name recognition from her L.A. Ink show to launch both the makeup line and the perfumes so it could be looked at as a celebrity fragrance. I think that it tends to be on the celebrity fragrance side because she is in the ad herself and uses her name to promote the new fragrances. Ok enough with my soap box...let's discuss the two new fragrances.

Kat has released two fragrances, one is named Saint and the other is named Sinner. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which one will be the lighter of the two and which one will be heavier. The Sinner fragrance looks like it was designed for Kat herself and the Saint one was designed for someone like me.

First, let's look at the Sinner fragrance. Here is what Sephora has to say about it, "Introducing Sinner, created by makeup artist Kat Von D, exclusively for Sephora. Light, delicate top notes of orange blossom, refreshing mandarin, and fleshy plum create a provacative, sultry heart. Rich jasmine blends seamlessly with a white-flower bouquet, beautifully tainted by the spicy wamrth of cinnamon, an herb assocaited with ancient rituals of pleasure. A dark, mysterious back of earthy vetiver, patchouli, and woods enveloped in creamy vanilla and sensual musk lingers on the skin." This one is not for me, the cinnamon just kills it. Next...

The other fragrance, Saint, holds more promise for me than Sinner. "Introducing Saint, created by makeup artist Kat Von D, exclusively for Sephora. The sweet nectar of Mirabelle Plum and sparkling juicy mandarin create an addictive, mouth-watering top. At the heart, exotic, heady Tiare Flower and sweet, tempting caramel are adorned with the velvety floralcy of jasmine, the queen of the night, as she emits her spellbinding fragrance into the sky. Sensual vanilla and creamy musk combine with the wamrth of sandalwood for a comforting drydown".

I smelled both of the fragrances the last time that I was at Sephora and Saint was much more to my liking. The spice note in Sinner was so strong that I could not even bring myself to spray it on my wrist to test it out. Saint is much lighter and more on the floral side and would work for in the Spring and Summer months. I haven't bought either of them yet since I heard rumors that a solid perfume ring was upcoming and now that it is arrived, I am glad that I waited. The ring is a large black rose and quite frankly, I like the ring better than either of the two fragrances.

Want the Saint ring, maybe I will purchase the Saint fragrance too. Nothing with the word "Sinner" in it will every work out for me. Also, thinking it over, I consider this a celebrity fragrance, these scents would be nothing without Kat Von D's name on them.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: