Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dylan's Candy Bar



Anyone who knows me well knows about my obsession with foody smelling perfumes and body products. If it smells like cotton candy, marshmallow fluff, cupcakes, or any other assorted treats, I will buy it without a second thought. When Bath and Body Works had their fantastic Tutti Dolci line in stock, I could satisfy this whim anytime that I went to the mall. However, this line was tragically discontinued and now I am at the mercy of etailers to find my sweet scents. I have nothing against any etailer (in fact, I have gotten fantastic products from them!) but I really like to be able to apply the scent to my skin before I buy it. Several months ago, on Makeup Alley, I read that Dylan’s Candy Bar was releasing a line of bath and body products for Sephora. Immediately, I started a countdown to the day that it would be available (online only unfortunately).


Dylan’s Candy Bar was founded by Dylan Lauren (daughter of designer Ralph Lauren) and quickly became a huge hit in New York. The first time that I read about the candy store was in a Lucky several years ago when Bobbi Brown decided to debut her new collection by throwing a party at Dylan’s Candy Bar. Makeup, cotton candy, and bright pink bubble gum martinis?! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I first read about this place.


Dylan Lauren is a self confessed beauty junkie and wanted to combine her love of sweets and high quality beauty products (I LOVE THIS GIRL!!!). She hooked up with a group of chemists so that she could learn to create high quality, great smelling products that were still good for the skin. Her products do not contain parabens, propylene glycol, SLSs, and are not tested on animals.
The November Issue of Allure did a write up on this new line. They interviewed Lauren about her scents and how they were created. She picked the scents based on some of her best selling products in the candy store and by what scents she thought would translate well into body products. Her biggest challenge was getting the products to smell exactly like their food counterpart. To overcome this hurdle, she brought the chemists the real sweets and when through many rounds and samples to pick the high quality scents.


There are four scents in this collection. They are as follows: Birthday Cake Batter, Chocolate Cupcake, Strawberry Licorice, and Coconut Bon Bon. The scents are all available in a body wash, body lotion, sugar scrub, and a heavier body butter.


The only thing that is making me unhappy about this line is that so far, it is not in the stores yet. A Sales Associate at my local Sephora told me that it would be in stores before the holiday season. Ummmm…which begins, like right now. Hopefully this means that it will be out within the next few weeks. My hardest choice with this line will be deciding what scent to get first but at the moment, Chocolate Cupcake is coming out as the clear winner.
photo courtesy of Sephora

1 comment:

The Body Shop At Home said...

Have you smelt the holiday body butters from The Body Shop? The Cranberry and the Vanilla Spice are my faves!!!! Yum!