Thursday, October 9, 2008

October 2008 Issue of Lucky

The October 2008 issue of Lucky sat in my pile of magazines for awhile until I finally had the time to really go through out (so did several other magazines, including the revered Best of Beauty issue of Allure - oh the fun of being in school and working full time) but when I finally had the time to read it, I was glad that I decided to take my time through it.

Jessica Simpson is on the cover, which didn’t really surprise me since her new fragrance had just been released several weeks earlier. She is a celeb that I have a love-hate relationship with. I love her look, her boyfriend (Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo) and some of her music all while hating her persona (at least on Newlyweds), hating the majority of her previous two beauty product lines, and hating that I can never have the same hair color that she pulls off. And believe me, I have tried. My hairstylist is sick of me pulling out a picture of Jessica every time we go to discuss updating my hair color. So this cover kinda made me both squeal and groan at the same time. Though I must admit, this cover produced more of a reaction from me than any other in the past few months. Perhaps this is what Lucky was going for in their choice of a cover model. Now for the contents of the magazine itself…

The first page of the beauty section talks about black eyeliner and the choices that are available to women this fall. Whether women decide to use pencil or go all out and choose liquid liner, it is obvious that black liner is a staple for the next few months and everyone needs to have at least one product in their arsenal to create this look.

Things I have to have from this issue…

- Philosophy Hope in a Jar High Performance SPF 20 - “People obsess over its impressive antiaging effects (from lactic acid and antioxidants)- now they’ve added five different types of super-shielding SPF and extra hydrators”

- Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer - “This classic moisturizer is souped-up with ultra-long lasting UVA protection and red micro-algae extract for brightening”

- Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Bomblicious Hair Mist - “Jasmine and freesia make this delicate, ultra feminine , and a little spicy”

- Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster SPF 30 - “Great as a full-spectrum sun block alone or mixed with equal parts moisturizer or foundation; this is milky and extra light.”

- The Organic Pharmacy Double Rose Rejuvenating Face Cream - “Rose hip oil blended with equally nourishing ginger and marigold extracts for super-intense (and organic) dose of hydration”

- Weleda Wild Rose Moisture Cream - “Weleda makes some of the best all-natural lotions and creams out there. This one makes your skin feel and look amazing as soon as you put it on”

- Shu Uemura 100% Natural Origin Fragrance Fleur de Source - “Gorgeous, all-natural oils create a clean, cool combination of fresh basil and papyrus”

- Van Cleef and Arpels Ferie - “The elaborate cap (a fairy perched on a branch) is as appealingly playful as the scent: crisp violet with vetiver”

- Bulgari Jasmin Noir - “Against a backdrop of almonds, this merges the many scents of jasmine (which change significantly throughout the day), making something wonderfully complex”

- Lancome Magnifique - “If the color red had a scent, this would be it: Bulgarian Rose and sandalwood are strong and sophisticated"

- Creed Love in Black - Night-blooming wildflowers from Greece mingle with cedar and Italian iris” (How many times can I say how MUCH I want this fragrance!!)

- Tocca Bridgette - “Named for Bridgette Bardot, this mimics a spice market in Marseille, with rose petals and ginger”

- Beckham Signature for Her - So pretty and incredibly wearable; with orchids and a touch of licorice, it feels really new”

Ok so WOWOWOWOWOW!!! I have found a ton of new perfumes that I want to get this fall. I love floral fragrances and I wear them all during the spring and summer and I don’t stop the florals during the colder months, I just wearing stronger, more oriental florals.

With everything else that I loved in this issue, I didn’t think that it would be possible for Jean Godrey June’s column to raise my excitement level even further. But somehow, it did just that. She wrote about the new Gwen Stefani fragrances and the adorable bottles that they come it. Her favorite of the group is the Baby scent, but I really want to try them all. She also writes about her overuse of the word “fantastic” and how it is now a new nail polish color from Chanel. It is wine-berry red that is equally “fantastic” for manicures or pedicures and gets me really excited to run to local Chanel counter for this shade.

This whole issues can be summed up in one word…FANTASTIC.

No comments: