Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fekkai Protein Rx



Well, it has finally happened! I have found a line of hair products that smell like vanilla cupcakes and allow me to smell like dessert from head to toe. Normally, I am not really a fan of the Fekkai products (with a couple of exceptions) but I really liked the scent of the of the Protein Rx and ended up buying it for the scent alone. Well that’s great but then I got it home and realized that at some point I will actually have to use the products instead of just sniffing them so I should actually see how this line works and what it is supposed to accomplish.


According to the Fekkai company, this line is called Protein Rx because it is supposed to act like a prescription to help dry, damaged hair. The all white, clinical looking packaging is designed to reflect that this group of products is for serious hair care issues and is made to be intensive treatments. This line carries a series of products but I only purchased the shampoo, conditioner, and the mask.


The shampoo contains a complex of soy and milk proteins that is exclusive to this product. This restores and reinforces hair, preventing future breakage and leaving hair stronger and more manageable. First thought - hair is dead so it cannot be restored! It can be hydrated and nourished but no product on the market can bring it “back to life”. Already the claims of this product are inaccurate. The conditioner is supposed to do the same function and continue the benefits provided by the shampoo. The treatment mask is more intense version of the above mentioned products.


Using this combination of products did help to hydrate my hair and make it much softer. I also think the breakage that I usually experience has been somewhat lessened. However, it has not “brought my life back to life”, it is dead and will remain that way for the rest of my time using this line. The major drawback of these products (other than the insane claims) is that it does leave a build up on my hair so I have found that I have to alternate using these products with another type of shampoo and conditioner. The best part…my hair smells like cupcakes…

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: