Wednesday, December 10, 2008

New Mascara Number 1 - Smashbox Bionic Mascara



A couple of weeks ago, I wrote that I had decided to try a bunch of the new mascaras that came out last fall. I am over a month into the use of the first one so I can now begin my reviews of the products that I purchased and put to the test. The first mascara that I decided to get was Smashbox Bionic Mascara. I wasn’t really feeling this mascara when I first tried it but I kept using it in hopes that I would warm up to it. Also, I had just come off of finishing Cargo Texas Lash, which we all know that I really liked so this formula left me with double disappointment, that it wasn’t Texas Lash and that I didn’t really like it at all. So here are the my thoughts on this product.


Sephora’s website gives this description of the product, “Smashbox Bionic is the first ionic mascara - it will leave you with longer, stronger, and more voluminous lashes! This specially engineered brush coats lashes with our revolutionary long-wearing, water-resistant formula for a dramatic full lash. Aloe, silk, and wheat proteins strengthen and condition.” So this formula is both a treatment product and a cosmetic in one little package. I don’t really know how well it treated my lashes, I haven’t noticed much of a difference in them from before use of this product. I was under the impression that this was supposed to make my lashes huge and now I am beginning to wonder where I got that info from. I feel like I saw an ad for this product in a magazine and Smashbox itself promoted this mascara as providing major volume. Well, whatever the case may be, it didn’t provide the mass amounts of size that it takes to make me happy (WOW, that sounded really bad!). The brush is smaller than what I am used to so already this product was at a disadvantage compared to BadGal and Texas Lash. The brush is stiff instead of soft and I found that I did like that aspect of it. The formula didn’t clump at all even when I was applying multiple coats (trust me, I needed multiple coats of this stuff). Even after two coats, my lashes just looked dark and defined, not full and fat. Big letdown.


However the worse part of this mascara is that it smears all of the place and by the end of the day, I usually look like I have raccoon eyes. Now being that it smears all over the place, you would think that removal would now be difficult. Of course not! It is very hard to remove and impossible to remove 100%, the next morning I always wake up with more underneath my eyes no matter how well I thought that I got it off the night before. Nothing for sensitive skin, sensitive eyes, or a more natural product would have any prayers of removing this stuff.
Mascara 1 = failure.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: