Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bath and Body Works Butterfly Flower


Late last winter, I walked past my nearby Bath and Body works to see if they had released a new scent for the springtime yet. In past years, usually the first scent that they release for spring is light and floral and is usually the one that ends up working out the best for me out of all the releases throughout the year. After working there as long as I did during college, I tend to know when the good releases are and when I will be walking out of the store empty handed (late summer and early fall are the empty handed times of the year).


This year, the fragrance that was their huge spring release is called Butterfly Flower. The name alone completely ruined it for me, it sounds like something that I would have worn in the fifth grade simply becuase the word "butterfly" is in the title. I know that it isn't very logical but I always think of butterflies as bright pink and purple and as stickers that I used to trade when I was 10. Between that and my dislike of their new packaging, this one was out on all counts. So I passed this one by without as much as a single whiff.



Several weeks later, a coworker of mine was talking about how much she liked this fragrance and asked if I had tried it. I told her the many reasons that I had rejected it and she assured me that the actual fragrance itself is much nicer than the unfortunate name. So I went to the mall on my next day off and decided to give it a whirl.



Bath and Body Works gives this as the official description of the fragrance, "Our exclusive Butterfly Flower scent is a vibrant fragrance, inspired by the natural elegance and playful femininity of a butterfly garden in full bloom". They have made quite an improvement in the description of the fragrances (for once, the word "fresh" does not appear in the description of every single scent) but I still had to see if the fragrance matched up with its description. I used some fo the lotion on my hand and was pleasantly surprised. It was a light, pretty floral without any notes that overpowered the fragrance as a whole. The notes are as follows - French Mimosa Petals, Asian Syringa Flower, Luscious Tangerine, Tenufolia Orchid.



I ended up buying the lotion, shower wash, and a candle in the fragrance. This taught me not to judge a book by its cover (or corny name) but hopefully this might teach Bath and Body Works to name their fragrances a bit more carefully, I can't be the only person who ignored this fragrance just because of the name.



photo courtesy of Bath and Body Works

No comments: