Monday, May 25, 2009

Phyto Phytodefrisant

Quick...what haircare product has recently been introduced into the Allure Beauty Best of Hall of Fame and is touted as one of the most amazing products ever introduced into the market by tons of women?! Fekkai? Jonathan? SLS free products that actually clean hair? Well not quite...it's Phyto's Phytodefrisant, a product that is most likely the most amazing hair straightening balm ever. Now, you may all remember how much I like the Jonathan Silky Dirt. That is my second favorite hair straightener, but Phytodefrisant is the gold standard and Holy Grail for turning my thick curly hair into thick supersleek hair.

This company has been a favorite of mine for quite a while and many people are quite aware of this, especially anyone who has been reading this blog from the beginning. This product belongs to their "anti-frizz" line of products, along with Phytobrush shampoo and Phytolisse smoothing serum (neither of which I have had the opportunity to work with but would love to). This is their philosophy behind controlling frizzy or hard to maintain hair, "Naturally frizzy hair is generally dry and difficult to style. It may even become ultra-day after straightening and heat styling. Highly sensitive to humidity, frizzy hair needs to be relaxed with moisturizing and coating products that will gently smooth the hair fiber while protecting it from breakage. Naturally curly hair will also benefit from these hydrating and shielding properties".

Here is some information on the product itself from the Sephora website (not sure why the Phyto website wouldn't let me see the individual product), "Phytodefrisant is a relaxing balm for all hair types, naturally curly, or permed hair. Ferula, horseradish, and garlic extracts coat and straighten hair without any chemical action. The non-oily formula won't weaken hair. Imparts shine as hair is blow-dried to smooth, straight perfection".

One of my favorite things about this product is the texture. I squeeze a little bit out from the tube into my hands and then I rub my hands together to melt the product. After that, the producty turns into the same consistency as water, so it is very easy to get through hair and evenly coat every strand. It never weighs my hair down but still manages to get it straight and smooth. This product is unique in that it claims to have a cumulative effect on hair, every time that it is used, it becomes easier and easier to straighten hair. I don't quite know of a quantitative measure to judge this but I do know that I used it for two years and I never really saw that much of a change in styling or the time it took. That being said, it still helped me to get much better results than I ever would have without it and it fully deserves its place in the Allure Hall of Fame.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: