Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Search for the Perfect Red Lipstick - MAC

I mentioned several weeks ago that I was test driving two shades of red lipstick that I had just gotten in a recent MAC haul. I have never really considered myself a red lipstick type of girl, I always thought that it drew too much attention to my mouth and it just wasn't a look that I liked on myself. I ended up at the MAC counter in my local Macy*s after a Sephora haul. I was just looking at the different red shades for a friend who asked my opinion on some of their shades as she herself was searching for the perfect red shade. All that I planned to do that day was look at a few shades then swatch them on my arm so I could tell her about the differences. Well plans do change... After swatching the first shade on my arm, I decided to let the associate try it out on my lips and see how it would look. And the rest is history...

The first shade that we tried is the very popular Russian Red. When beauty junkies recommend MAC red lipstick, this usually is the shade that they are referring to. I was told at the counter that this shade does very well overall for MAC and is a top seller at that particular counter. Russian Red is a matte finish lipstick and normally I am not a fan of lippee with a matte finish, I am much more of a lip gloss girl. The matte finish lipstick are very bold and have no shine at all to them. They are a true matte finish, nothing creamy about them. They are also very long lasting and will last through both eating and drinking. The major drawback for myself is that my lips tend to dry out quickly when using this type of formula. Russian Red is described by MAC as being a "intense bluish-red". This is certainly as apt description, the blue tones are evident and it is quite intense. This shade made me see that I could wear a strong red lip. Unto my pile it went...

The second shade that I tried out is MAC Red. This shade is another that is considered by MAC to be a blue toned red but it is considered to be more vivid than Russian Red. Upon wearing, I get much more blue out of this shade than I do Russian Red and it almost begins to take on a magneta hue as it is wearing off. This shade is a candidate to wear a red lip stain under it to keep the red bright (I haven't tried this yet though). This lipstick is a Satin formula and therefore it has a much creamier finish and isn't as drying on the lip. However, as with any creamy finish lipstick, this one wears off much quicker than one with a matte formula. Uhhhh...this one went onto my pile too...

The third shade I tried out a week later. This one is called Lady Bug and it was one that I took notice of on my visit before but since I had already purchased two shades of red lipstick, I didn't get a third that day. I kinda suprised that the associate didn't show me this shade since I find it to be very different from the other two shades. This shade is described as a "yellow tomato" and is one of the Lustre finish lipsticks. The description doesn't sound very appealing but it does no justice to the product itself. To begin with, the Lustre line of lipsticks has been my favorite formula ever since I started by MAC lipsticks and it has produced a Holy Grail lippee in the form of Way To Love from A Rose Romance. The Lustre formula is the closest to a lip gloss of any of the formulas and I have found that the shades are on the sheerer side and in my opinion, the easiest to wear out of any MAC lipsticks. This is the perfect sheer red shade, anyone could wear it. It can be worn day or night and with many different eye looks.

Of the three that I have bought already, Lady Bug is by far my favorite. Russian Red if my second becuase it lasts long and wears well. I like MAC Red but I don't like how it can turn somewhat magenta as it is wearing off. Next, I have to go back and pick up Ruby Woo, a slightly deeper red shade that I decided I would hold off until purchasing fall makeup to get.
photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: