Friday, May 21, 2010

MAC Prep + Prime Eye

This is my first non color product purchase from MAC. I was running low on Urban Decay's Primer Potion and was shopping on the MAC website and needed another item in my cart to get free shipping or something like that. So I decided to give this product a whirl and see if it was comparable to Urban Decay. So far, it hasn't lived up to what I expect from an eye shadow primer.

MAC describes this product as, "A light textured cream to wear on the eyes as an undercoat to eye makeup. Primes the lids. Smoothes textures, neutralizes lid color. Use under eye shadow, pigments, paints, and concealers." This primer is available in three shades; Light, Medium, and Medium Dark. For myself, I chose the lightest shade. This product is packaged in a flat, round container and the user uses their finger to apply the product.

The texture of this product is very different than that of Primer Potion. Prep + Prime Eye is much creamier instead of the somewhat tacky feel of the Urban Decay Primer. I prefer the feel of the Primer Potion becuase I really feel that this formula is too creamy and thin to really keep my eye makeup from budging. The creasing that I experience with using this primer is more than I would experience with the use of the Urban Decay Primer (though my less than if I applied no primer at all). I don't find that I get the highest amount of pigment payoff when I use this primer as compared to the Urban Decay product.

Since Urban Decay slightly revamped the applicator on the Primer Potion, my only complaint with that product has been mollified. I can get the perfect amount of product out of the Urban Decay tube but I find it harder to do so with this product because of the flat tub. The first few times that I used it, I ended up applying way too much product which made my eye makeup cake worse than ever. I got the application down to a science but I still prefer the applicator of the Primer Potion.

The only aspect that I really love about this product is the fact that it neutralizes color on the eyelid and still looks very natural. On low maintence days, this product could be used alone to get rid of color and shine to the lid. I much prefer my Primer Potion to this product and doubt that I would buy it again but I like it enough to work through the tub that I have already purchased.

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: