Friday, February 18, 2011

Gucci by Gucci

I think that the award for the most unique fragrance that I have tried this whole year goes to this fragrance. Normally, I go for more floral and oriental fragrances but this is the first fragrance of the Chypre family that I have ever tried. A Chypre is a very unique type of fragrance that smells mostly of woods on the skin, perhaps with a musky or floral twist to it. This is one of the oldest types of fragrances and many fragrances that were available at the turn of 1900s and the next twenty to thirty years after were of this type. This is is much older type of fragrance than any of the florals that we are so popular today.

Gucci by Gucci is one of the few fragrances of this type that is available today of this type and the only one that was created in the past ten years. This fragrance made quite a splash in the beauty world when it was first introduced to Neiman Marcus around 2007 or 2008. This was a triumph for Gucci in that they created a Chypre that manages to smell both modern and true to origins of the fragrance family while combining it all with modern technology allowing the fragrance to wear better than it's much older counterparts.

"Gucci by Gucci is the signature fragrance for the modern day icon - a strong yet sensual woman driven by both her desire for achievement and her unmistakable feminine allure. The new Gucci fragrance falls into the Chypre floral scent family, with a top fruity citrus note and a woodsy base note. The fragrance emerges with an unexpected blend of guava and pear, bringing with it a uniqueness and modernity. The heart adds a rich, sensual femininity with the Tahitian Tiare flower bringing creaminess to an unconventional bouquet. The bottom consists of musky notes and honey that add sensuality and warmth to the strength of the patchouli", states the fragrance description on the Sephora website.

The fragrance notes: Guava, Pear, Tahitian Tiare Flower, Honey, Musk, Patchouli.

This fragrance is very bottom note oriented on my skin. I get a quick burst of the top fruit notes but then the fragrance settles into the woody and musky notes on my skin. I can smell the honey, the musk, and the patchouli on my skin, making this the most unique fragrance that I own. Personally, I find this fragrance best used at night when getting dressed or for a big day at work when I need to make a statement. I bought the EDP in this fragrance and it lasts about four to five hours on me. This fragrance is also available in a lighter EDT form so this is an option for those who find it to be too strong for them.

This fall and winter, I was very interested in vintage fashion and beauty and this fragrance fit in perfectly with my red lipstick and super high heels. This one is not for everyone, I will be the first to admit that but if you can make this one work, you will have a fragrance that no one else has anything close to.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: