Monday, February 14, 2011

Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo

There was an article in the March issue of Cosmopolitan that made me think about this product a bit more than I normally do. The article was talking about how women are showering less and less and therefore sales of dry shampoos have been skyrocketing over the past few years. Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo is the first version of this product that I ever remember seeing and now it seems that every single line contains a bottle or two of dry shampoo. I first bought this product at Sephora in 2007 and it stills remains one of their best selling hair care products.

Sephora states, "A fast fix for dirty hair. Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo is the ultimate time saver. It refreshes, revives, and rejuvenates the hair in a matter of minutes - no water or blow dryer required. Voted Best Dry Shampoo and Best Quick Fix by Allure magazine, it effectively soaks up oil, removes product build up, and boosts volume, Hair looks, feels, and smells freshly shampooed with a clean, lemon verbena scent. Go ahead, hit snooze!"

So why did I buy this product in the first place? Part of it was just plain curiousity, I had no idea if this product would work and I had never seen anything like it before so I just had to try it out. Also, I first bought this product when I had my long hair and since I blow it out and straighten all the time, some days I just don't have the time or patience to do it on mornings that I had to be out of the house in a hurry. This product was a huge help in saving time and making my blow outs last twice as long as they normally did.

I will admit that my first few times with this product were not positive. I learned through trial and error that the best way to apply this product is to put it right on the area where I part my hair and then rub it in and down the hair shaft. I have also found that you need very little of this product to start making it work and it better to start with a bit and then add more because if you add too much to begin with... Your hair will be trashed for the rest of the day. I usually made several parts in my hair and applied it to each area and then worked in it. Results will appear with the use of this product by itself and a natural bristle brush but I prefer to use it and rub it in and then quickly blow dry my roots to help re-awaken my blow out.

The scent of this product is listed as "lemon verbena", I found it to be more lemon than a mixture of the two. And the scent is strong, I have had several people comment on the scent of it. All of the comments on it were compliments but if you are sensitive to smells, this might not be the best choice for you. The powder is white and if you don't rub it in well enough or use too much, your hair will have a white cast for the rest of the day. Which is not attractive at all. Also, I discovered that if I used too much of this powder, the shine will be gone from my hair for the rest of the day.

This product is available in two forms now, the traditional powder form and a newer spray form. I haven't had the chance to try the spray form but I do wonder how well it can be controlled in this type of packaging. The powder form now also comes in a smaller size that is perfect for travel or for a gym bag. I have the large bottle of this product and I do want to buy the smaller size to keep with me for touch ups through out the day.

First of its kind...and it had both spawned and out sold many of it's imitations.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: