Saturday, February 19, 2011

O.P.I. for Sephora Spring 2011 Collection - Urban Ballerina

The O.P.I. for Sephora collection is one of my major downfalls every single time that I go shopping at that store. I walk all around and take about an hour to decide what I want to purchase and then I finally get in line with my items. Then, WHAM!! I am waiting in line and come face to face with the display of all the shades of polish and I end up playing with them while I wait. And the final outcome? I always end up buying one or two of them on top of everything else that I already have in my hands. From a marketing perspective, that is superior product placement in the store. They are the perfect impulse purchase, since they are under $10, they aren't so expensive that you get out of line and put items back but Sephora can add about $9 to almost every sale without doing anything additional.

This nail polish line has released a new shade collection for spring and it draws on inspiration from all the ballet trends that have been dominating the past few months. This collection contains six shades that are various shades of pinks, grays, cool beiges, and purples. All cool toned, there is nothing for you if these types of shades don't work for your skin.

The Sephora website states the following for the description of the new collection of shades. "A collection of long-wearing, chip-resistant nail polishes. Inspired by the eclectic style of an urban ballerina, this striking collection infuses a punk-rock edge with the typically soft, sweet (and pink) palette of classical ballet. The shades in the Urban Ballerina collection reflect the urban dancer's dynamic textures and colors, like shimmering pink satin, the steely gray of downtown buildings, and the neutral tones of a city landscape. Each shade is totally wearable, fashionable, and a must-have accessory!"

The new shades...

- Break A Leg-Warmer! - opaque charcoal gray
- Leotard Optional - opaque mocha beige
- Let's Pile - opaque metallic light beige
- Shiny Dancer - opaque slate with fine iridescent glitter
- The Way Tutu His Heart - opaque light pink
- Who's Spinning Tonight? - opaque metallic true grape

I like all six of the new shades and would have a very easy time working them into my nail polish collection. That being said, none of these shades are very unique and if I wasn't a fan of the formula of this polish then I wouldn't be all that interested in some of them. I think that I can safely skip Leotard Optional and Who's Spinning Tonight? without any type of heart break. My favorite shade in the collection is Shiny Dancer, both for the shade and the name of shade (Tiny Dancer is my favorite song in the whole world). I would also get a lot of wear from The Way Tutu His Heart and Let's Pile since they are both easy to wear pales. Break A Leg-Warmer! might be a better winter shade than a spring shade beinf that it is deep cream. If I see it in person and really like it than I might buy it and either use it on toes only for the next few months or put it away until October.

Much as I all the pinks, silvers, and purples, I have a feeling that the endless cool tones that are being offered this spring are not going to go over really well with entire population and soon we are going to see a ton of warm toned or bright shades...

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: