Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea Forever and Moonlight Magic

No I don't live at Bath and Body Works...I just keep getting suckered in by all the coupons that they gave me on my last visit. Triple that with me always paying off my charge in the store (meaning that I always then bring my charge to the store) and you get a receipt for me going there way too much for my own good. This time I was in the store on two missions, the first one was to pay of my charge card and the second one was to begin shopping for my mother's birthday gift while a bunch of my coupons were good. Also, the company has just released updated version of two of their best-selling fragrances, Sweet Pea and Moonlight Path, so I needed to give them a sniff and decide how to best use all my coupons.

Sweet Pea and Moonlight Path have been top-selling fragrances at Bath and Body Works since I first started there in the beginning of my second year of college. I still don't know how these two fragrances continue to sell so well because it seems like every female in the United States must already own them. Sweet Pea was my favorite for about the first six months that I was there and I owned every product in it and wore it every single day. I have nothing left of it and decided to give it another shot today. Within ten seconds of opening the tester, I was transported back to my organic chemistry classroom and thoughts of the girl that wore it every class of U.S. History. And I hated both of those... Sweet Pea will remain on the store shelves for me. I still have some Moonlight Path left in my collection so I wasn't interested in picking up anymore of that today.

Now onto the two new fragrances. First we will look at Sweet Pea Forever. The original Sweet Pea fragrance is a soft floral that smells exactly like the sweet pea florals. It is very sweet and can get cloying very quickly. Sweet Pea Forever is an update on the scent, not an entire new fragrance. It contains the original fragrance notes and then adds the following notes to them; juicy raspberry, freesia, watery pear, and light musk. When I first read these notes in the Spring Preview book, I was hoping that they would tame down the sweetness and make the fragrance more floral. Well, the new version of the fragrance is no better than the original, the new notes are totally unrecognizable and I wondered if I picked up the wrong bottle on first sniff. Nope...this update was nothing that I would purchase.

After the Sweet Pea, I had little hope for the Moonlight Magic. The original of this fragrance is a light musky floral that for the longest time (before Japanese Cherry Blossom was released in the beginning of 2006) was the only fragrance at Bath and Body that resembled a higher quality perfume. The original is also heavy on the lavender and contains a bit of rose in it. The new fragrance also contains the following notes; French lavender, sweet violets, lily of the valley, oakmoss, and a warm hint of musk. Moonlight Magic is a sweeter version of Moonlight Path, I can smell the sweet violet in it more than any other note in the fragrance. Someone else in the store noted that it smells like "Moonlight Path with cotton candy in it". Points for this fragrance being somewhat more original than Sweet Pea Forever but I didn't purchase this one either.

I ended up using my coupons to stock up on fragrances that I already have and prefer to the new updates. I understand that Bath and Body Works is trying to update some of their classic fragrances and give them new life, I don't really like either of these two updates. But as I was in the store, I realized the true power of fragrance, I got a bit sad while I was walking around smelling fragrances that reminded me of college and more carefree times and all my college friends and crushes. I went all the way back to being nervous on my first day of classes and wrinkling my nose at the girls who covered themselves in Sweet Pea for morning classes...

photo courtesy of Bath and Body Works

No comments: