Thursday, June 17, 2010

MAC Penultimate Eye Liner

It now seems that I cannot even go within the vicinity of a MAC counter without making a purchase of several items. In fact, if this trend continues, I may have to boycott the mall in order to save my checking account balance. My last haul was one that included several impulse items, I went to the counter to purchase only one product and ending up walking away with a bag full of items. The one item that I went to purchase (and the first one that I grabbed when I got to the counter) is the one that we are going to talk about today. I already own the Eye Kohl and tried to use it the other week to make a strong cat eye. However, that liner is better for smudging and making smoky eyes so the effect was not quite what I desired. I knew that I needed a different product to create a cat eye and decided to try out a liquid eye liner.

I have never used a liquid eye liner with good results. Back when I used to have full access to the makeup counters at Bath and Body Works, I would try in vain to get a good line but would always end up with a jagged disaster. So my primary concern with trying a liquid eye liner was ease of use. I had read about Penultimate when it was featured in MAC collections and wanted to try it out. It looks just like a skinny marker and it appeared to be the most dummy proof looking liner that I had laid eyes on.

The MAC website provides the following as a description of the product, "A liquid pen-style liner that provides the ultimate precise, bold line in a rich, deep carbon black shade. Goes on fluidly, in one steady stroke, to style any fashion of eye line". This product is available in one shade called Rapidblack which is described as a true black.

This product is very easy to use even for someone not used to working with a liquid liner. If you can draw a line, you can get this liner to work for you. I steady my had by resting it on my cheekbone during application and so far have had no problems. I start my pulling my eyelid, making a line from the inside to the middle then another one from the middle to the outer corner. I found that the color is best when I go over the line at least twice, if I only do the first application, it appears more a deep gray then a black. I also have found that I need a second coat to get in closer to my lashes but this might change as I get better as using the product.

The lasting power of liquid eye liners is always better than pencil liners. Once this product dries, it will be on for the rest of the day until I remove it. I have no trouble removing it with eye makeup remover but I feel that it wouldn't come off fully with just soap and water.

I really love the eye liner and my only wish is that it came in more colors. At the moment, I am wishing for a bronze, a gold, a silver, a deep olive, and a deep plum. Hopefully MAC will include new shades of the this product in some of their limited edition collections.

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: