Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lipstick Queen Chinatown Glossy Lip Pencil

Yes you read that right, this product is a glossy lip pencil. How can that be you wonder? A formulation so fine and amazing could only come from the one and only Lipstick Queen, Poppy King herself. Her entire life has been devoted to lipstick and the creation of beautiful, high quality shades and products. I was first introduced this line at the C.O. Bigelow in the King of Prussia when I was shopping for a deep red lipstick. I have heard that this line is so popular with lipstick devotees (meaning myself) that when Poppy drops by her counters in New York City and does lip readings, she draws a giant crowd and has to set up appointments to do the readings.

Today we are going to check out a very unique product that only could be created by a liptick lover and someone who is very knowledgable about anything lip related. The description of the product comes from the Lipstick Queen herself. "Our Lipstick Queen offices in New York are on the border of Chinatown and Tribeca. Everyday I get off at Canal St. Subway and marvel at the kookiness of the products on offer. And...one of my favorite movies is Roman Polanski's Chinatown. All of which served as inspiration for my Chinatown Glossy Pencils! Kooky and fun with bright colors ina super sheer, super moisturizing 'draw on' gloss. Yes! Gloss in a jumbo-sized pencil... Welcome to Chinatown baby! It comes with a jumbo-sized sharpener and the original artwork on the boxes and shade names are all inspired by the Polanski film".

The shades are...

- Crime - sheer hot pink
- Mystery - sheer vibrant purple
- Thriller - sheer scarlet red
- Genre - sheer bright orange
- Chase - sheer lush watermelon

I did some additional research on this product and all the claims made by the company are very accurate. When I played with the products, I was expecting either the pencil to be much harder than the company lets on or that the pencil would crumble and break when any pressure is applied to it. Yet somehow, neither of these iccidents occured and the pencil went on smoothly and softly without breaking. The color that was left behind was a very sheer with a semi-glossy finish. My favorite of the bunch is Thriller, which reminded me of Benetint except this formula is more hydrating and I don't need that additional gloss layer on top of this product. This product isn't as long lasting as a stain or traditional pencil but it is much more comfortable to wear and it can be worn if your lips are dry from the cold weather. I also really liked the Chase and Crime colors with the pink undertones in my skin, however they would work best with spring and summer makeup shades.

Some products are just so wonderful and unique that they can only come from a Queen in the industry. And of course this Queen will support my fellow Queens of beauty...

photo courtesy of Lipstick Queen

No comments: