Monday, December 23, 2013

Marc Jacobs Beauty Lip Lock Moisture Balm

Lip balm is one of the few products that I have a hard time paying a lot of money for.  I use lip balm all the time and I go through tubes of lip balm faster than any other makeup product.  I keep one tube next to my bed and a separate tube in my purse, I am always trying new formulas but I feel like I keep coming back to either Burt's Bees or the C.O. Bigelow Mentha Matte formulas.  I have often wondered how different the formulas can really be between the lowest and highest ends of the lip balm range but I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the very high end formulas since I burn through every tube very quickly.  Would a more expensive be made with "better" ingredients and therefore would it be more effective in hydration and protection?

I have dry, chapped lips all throughout the year and my love of matte lipsticks make the problem even worse.  My lips tend to get even worse in the cooler months and they will get to a point where I can't wear lipstick for more than one or two days in a row.  This issue will not end until the end of March so this is the best time of the year for me to try any type of new lip balm formulas.  I have often wanted to try a really luxurious lip balm but could never bring myself to spend the money on this type of product.  Lips cannot hang onto moisture as they have no oil glands in them so lip balms need to be reapplied every few hours to maintain moisture level, there are no ingredients that will "cure" this issue and therefore I would need to use every type of lip balm at the same rapid rate.

With my last Sephora order, they were offering a deluxe sample of the Marc Jacobs Beauty lip balm as one of the Point Perks and I decided that this would be a great time for me to see how luxury lip balms perform.  "A buttery, rich lip balm with SPF 18 that locks in hydration.  Meet the ultimate makeout accessory—the addictive and refreshing minty flavor will keep you coming back for more. With nature’s best exotic oils and butters like andiroba, buriti, shea, and avocado, this moisture balm is too good not to share. Indulge. Hydrate. Repeat.  Broad spectrum SPF 18 protects lips from harmful UV rays which are the number one cause of premature skin aging, leading to skin discoloration, loss of elasticity, and the appearance of fine lines.", states the Sephora website when describing the Marc Jacobs Beauty Lip Lock Moisture Balm.

The active ingredients in this product are as follows: Andiroba, Buriti, Blackcurrant Seed, Meadowfoam Seed, Jojoba Seed Oils, Shea, and Avocado Butters.   This ingredients "provide immediate, locked-in hydration".  This product also contains Momordica Grosvenoir: Exotic natural sweetener known as the longevity fruit, "providing antioxidants, polysaccharides, and glycoprotein".

This lip balm feels heavenly when it is applied, it is soft and glides on the lips.  The texture is creamy, not oily, and is one of the best feeling lip balms that I have ever used.  I can see why this lip balm feels like a little luxury to those who purchase it, It hydrates like a dream and leaves my lips feeling soft and smooth.  The Marc Jacbos formulas feel nicer than either of my go-to lip balms when applied and when on the lips.

I was sold on this product until I drank coffee and ate breakfast with this product on my lips.  Every morning, I try to apply lip balm with my morning skincare routine and then let it sink into my lips before makeup application.  I usually lose most of the product that hasn't sunk in once I drink coffee and eat my toast and this product performed exactly like every other formula in that regard.  I have to reapply the Marc Jacobs formula just as much as I have to reapply my Burt's Bees and C.O. Bigelow formulas and therefore I don't really see the point in purchasing a full size of this product.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a lovely formula but it lasts just as long as every other lip balm and needs to be reapplied just as often.  I have burned through nearly half of my deluxe sample in about a week and I would need to repurchase tubes of this product all the time.  I mostly won't be ordering any of these in the full size but I will take the time to check out every Marc Jacobs Beauty set released in the next year to see if I can score more tubes of this product while trying other products from this company out.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: