Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lorac Pro Eye Palette - Full Review and Mini Tutorials

About a week ago, I posted about my first thoughts on the Lorac Pro Palette and today I am back with a full review and a few examples of looks that I have created with the palette over the past week.  I will start with a quick description of the palette and the shades that are contained in it (in case anyone missed the original post) and then get into my thoughts on each shade and how I used them.  Let's see how this new eye shadow palette review format goes...

"Go PRO with the LORAC PRO Palette! Created by celebrity makeup artist Carol Shaw, this PRO artistry palette is packed with 8 Shimmer and 8 Matte Eye Shadows in all the shades you need to create the hottest looks straight from the Red Carpet. LORAC’S velvety-smooth shadows are infused with soothing botanicals and are ultra-pigmented to perform wet or dry so you can shade, shadow, line and define your eyes, just like a PRO.", states the Lorac website.

The shades contained the Lorac Pro Palette are...

- White (Matte),
- Cream (Matte)
- Taupe (Matte)
- Lt. Pink (Matte)
- Mauve (Matte)
- Sable (Matte)
- Espresso (Matte)
- Black (Matte)
- Nude (Shimmer)
- Champagne (Sparkle)
- Gold (Shimmer)
- Lt. Bronze (Shimmer)
- Pewter (Shimmer)
- Garnet (Shimmer)
- Deep Purple (Shimmer)
- Slate (Shimmer)

I used all of these shades with the Lorac Behind the Scene Eye Primer (separate review posted last week) and I am quite happy with this overall palette.  This palette will work for those that are beginners at makeup and will also work equally well for those who are more advanced with their makeup application.  As I stated in the first review, this formula is much softer and more powdery than I am used to working with and it did take some getting used to over the past few days.  I started by dipping into these shades too hard with my brush and I wasn't all that happy with my first look.  I found some reviews on this palette and was advised about the soft formula and how to best use them on my eyes.

We will start with my thoughts on the Matte shades, the Matte shades in this palette are some of the softest mattes that I have ever worked with and I love how well these shades blend on the eyes.  Mattes tend to  be stiffer formulas and are usually harder to work with then satins or shimmers but I had no issues at all with this palette.  White and Cream look exactly alike on my pale skin and are the shades that I use all over my eye area to set down my eye primer.  I use Lt. Pink in exactly the same fashion and see very little difference between any of these three shades on my pale skin.  Taupe and Mauve are the shades that I tend to use with a fluffy brush in my crease, they function as my transition shades and blend well when used with a light hand.  I initially started with Taupe as the transition in my first look and I went in with too much on my brush and created a very patchy look that I couldn't blend out but quickly changed this the next time and really liked how well they blended out.  Sable and Expresso are the two deepest matte browns in this palette and I use them all over the lid to create a deep, smoky look or to deepen the outer corner of my eye looks.  Black is a nicely pigmented black shade and I would use it only to create a smoky eye or smudged into the top lashes as a liner.  I do find that it is a bit too soft to create a more defined liner look with it but I haven't tried wetting my brush before trying this technique.

The Shimmer shades work best when applied with either a finger or a small synthetic brush (I really like ones that came in the second and third Naked palettes).  Nude and Champagne both apply nicely when tapped onto the lid with the finger, they have medium color payoff but tend to look exactly alike when applied to the lid.  Gold is a show stopper, this is one of the truest and most beautiful gold shades that I own and the texture is perfection.  Lt Bronze and Pewter are both medium toned browns infused with shimmer.  Pewter is darker when applied to the lid and works best with a synthetic brush.  Lt Bronze can be used with a finger and is the more wearable shade of the two.  I use these shades when creating a copper eye look.  Garnet applies exactly like all the over shimmers but looks more red on my eyes than copper, I don't love this shade and I would only use it in very specific eye looks.  Deep Purple and Slate are best used right on the lid with a synthetic brush and I only use them on the lid in more smoky eye looks.  I love that all of the Shimmers perform exactly the same and the formula varies very little from shade to shade.

I have created a few easy eye looks with White, Cream, or Lt. Pink all over the eye area and then blending Taupe or Mauve into the crease and then any other shade on the lid.  I have started all of the looks that I have created with this palette with the above shades and then varied what shades/how many shades I apply on the lid.  Sable and Expresso are usually used on the lower lash line and on the outer lid area to create depth.  I can use any of the shimmers all over the lid or on the inner area of the lid.  My favorite looks are Cream, Taupe, and Gold or Pewter all over the lid.

I love that I can easily create a variety of looks from this palette and that all the shadows perform very well on the lids.  I can quickly create a work friendly look with my favorite combinations listed above and then add Expresso or Sable to quickly change the look before going out at night.  I am glad that I bought this palette and I know that I will be using it a lot now that I own it.  I can see why many people consider to this to be their "Go To" palette as it performs well and can easily create a beautiful eye look.  My only issue with this palette is that several of the shades look exactly the same when applied to the eyes and I have created several looks using different shades and then they all blend together and look alike.  I love that the shadows blend so well but I do find that they do tend to sometimes blend so well that I can't see differences between the shades I have used.  The lasting power (when used with primer) is about eight hours and I have seen that the shades tend to quickly fade away after that.  I wouldn't use these shadows without a primer as I think that they wouldn't show up very well and would flake off within a few hours.  Gold is my favorite shade in the palette and I think that I will use through the shades on the left side of the palette well before I use through any of the deeper toned hues.

photo courtesy of Lorac

No comments: