Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dermalogica Ultra Calming Face Mist

The skincare line Dermalogica has just released a brand new line of products that are meant to treat inflamed, sensitive skin. This line is called Ultra Calming and on most days, this is just what the doctor ordered. This line of skincare products is unique in that this company contains skin care systems that have been researched and developed by The International Dermal Institute. This research eventually lead to the findings that inspired UltraCalming, a complete system to help manage the multiple causes behind sensitized, inflamed skin, which can stem from a genetic predisposition towards sensitivity or as a result from environmental assaults.

I was sent several of the new products from this company and also a press release that details how this new system works. First, I want to look at the inflammatory reponses that these products are treating. "Immunogenic inflammation: When skin is under assault, localized skin cells are alerted and activated to fight off the 'invader'. This allergic reaction in skin triggers redness, soreness, and itchiness. Neurogenic inflammation: Whereas immugenic inflammation is triggered by the immune system, neurogenic inflammation is triggered by the nervous system. When an irritant chemical activates nerve sensors, it results in the release of substances that also trigger the inflammatory cascade, resulting in redness, soreness, and itchiness".

This line both treats current issues with sensitive skin and prevents further damage from occuring. All of the products in this line feature the highly-effective, proprietary UltraCalming Complex, which is a multi-benefit complex that includes active ingredients that mediate immunogenic and neurogenic inflammatory triggers for both immediate and long-term relief. It also includes botanicals and peptides that help mimic skin's natural protective barrier, helping to strengthen skin cell structure against water loss and defend against dehydration-induced sensitization.

The first product that I have tried from the pack that I was sent is the UltraCalming Mist. The product is described in the press release as follows, "A soothing toner that provides critical hydration while helping to relieve and defend against inflammation. Quickly relieves inflammation and discomfort, helping skin recover from damage and lipid barrier breakdown. Helps condition skin to prepare for proper moisture absorption. Easy-to-use, spray application. Can also be used after epilation, waxing, or exfoliation for soothing benefits".

The UltraCalming Mist contains three key ingredients. The first is the UltraCalming Complex that helps reduce sensitivity, redness, irritation, and inflammation. The second is Aloe Leaf Juice which is a skin soothing agent. The third is a synthetic version of Oat that boosts the soothing properties of the mist.

To apply this product, first cleanse and then dry skin. I just close my eyes and spray the product over my whole face. I often give a second mist on my cheeks since they tend to be the driest area on my face. I then let the product dry and put a layer of my moisturizer on over it. This mist really helps to calm down the redness in my skin and helps me avoid dryness in the cheek area. I really like to put this mist in my purse so I can use it as my face gets red and irritated throughout the day.

This is my first product from this new line and based on how well it worked, I am looking forward to trying the other products in this line.

photo courtesy of Dermalogica

No comments: