Friday, June 26, 2009

Jo Malone Red Roses

Red Roses by Jo Malone has been one of my favorite fragrances for the spring and summer since I picked it up at Saks over a year ago. It is my opinion that the British perfume houses do rose fragrances the best since the rose features so heavily in their culture. This fragrance is unique in that it is considered to be a green floral because the green notes in the scent balance out the florals.

This fragrance is composed of seven different types of roses to make up the heart of the fragrance along with the crushed violet leaves. The fragrance starts off with the citrus and green notes than the florals erupt and soften the whole fragrance. The citrus top note is lemon and the green note is spearmint. With the multitude of notes in this fragrance, the company recommends it to be layered with rose fragrances or with citrus fragrances depending on which notes the wearer wants to feature the most prominently. I layer it with rosy products since I always want the roses to be center stage.
However even if someone is not a rose lover like myself, this fragrance can be appreciated for the others notes and the uniqueness of the greens in it. This fragrance is on the lighter side, since it does not contain much a base note (like the amber in Stella) so wear time isn't quite as long as I would like to it be. However, the lightness of the fragrance makes it great for warmer weather and casual days. This fragrance comes in colonge form and the 3.4 oz bottle that I own has lasted me this long and will continue to last for at least another year. This fragrance is also available in body products (which I have yet to collect all of) and I wish that it would come out in home fragrance forms since Jo Malone candles are amazing.

This is another fragrance that will continue to feed my addiction for roses as long as it is being sold (and that sold be for quite a long time since it is often out of stock at Bergdorf Goodman).

photo courtesy of Jo Malone

No comments: