Saturday, January 2, 2010

Kat Von D True Romance Eye Shadow Palette in Ludwig

"Le smoky eye vous donne un air mysterieux." Those are perhaps the best words that Kat Von D could ever write on the back of an eye shadow palette to instantly get my attention and get me to run into right up the register in Sephora. The palette that she has written this line about is the True Romance Eye Shadow Palette in Ludwig, one of the first products to be released from her collection at Sephora. Several times, I ended up only seeing the tester of this product and it took several months for me to actually find it in stock. However, after several uses of the shades in this product, I realized that it was well worth the wait that I had to endure.

To start with, when I bought this palette, I did have a fresh memory of how little I liked her lipstick shades and the overall quality of the product. Quite honestly, if the shades in this palette hadn't been so much to my liking, I would have passed it by all together. I wasn't sure what to expect with the first usage of this product, I was expecting a hard texture and little pigment payoff. But, to my great happiness, where Kat fails in lipstick, she more than makes up for it in eye makeup. The shadows are all soft and silky and very easy to apply. And the color payoff is more like MAC than Cover Girl.

So what are the shades that made me flip for this product? Here is the palette description from the Sephora website, "A palette of eight eye shadow colors from tattoo artist Kat Von D. A smoky eye adds an instant air of mystery - create your own with the True Romance Eye Shadow Palette. Designed by reality television star Kat Von D especially for Sephora, this artistic spectrum of shades brings an edgy-glam creativity to your makeup. This sleek black eye shadow palette is stenciled with silver roses and arrives packaged in a silk-screened black and silver box that is itself a work of art - and inspired by Kat's favorite tattoo."

Here are the shades in the box: Lucifer (matte charcoal black), Orbi (golden green shimmer), Dimebag (metallic lime green), Clay (beige with gold glitter), Tequila (metallic cornsilk shimmer), Downtown (metallic light copper shimmer), Baroque (golden bronze shimmer), Leather (deep chocolate brown sheen), and it also contains two double-ended applicator brushes (both of which are totally useless). My favorites from the palette are Tequila, Downtown, and Orbi. Clay is best used as a highlighter but the others can be used either in the crease on directly on the eye lid.

This is my first Kat Von D palette and while I would stay away from her lipstick shades, I am very happy that I bought this palette and would recommend it to anyone else looking for shades for smoky eyes or shades that are more on the neutral side.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: