Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dermalogica Ultra Calming Serum Concentrate

I have finished up my third piece of the Dermalogica Ultra Calming system, the Serum Concentrate. I must start by saying that this is the piece fo the collection that I was most skeptical about since I have been very happy with the Caudalie Vinoperfect Serum and have never found a product that I prefer to it. I have tried all different types of redness serums and I just can't find a product that I prefer to this Caudalie serum. I wanted to start off that way and throw this out there to set up that I didn't expect that this product would be earth shattering and that it wouldn't be a favorite of mine. I knew this was going to be a harder review to write since I know that I have another product that I will always love more.

First, I will go into the information that Dermalogica sent me when their PR company sent me the product line samples. All the products in the Ultra Calming Collection contain the Ultra Calming Complex, which helps reduce sensitivity, redness, irritation, and inflammation. The serum is the star product of this line and therefore contains the highest amount of the Ultra Calming Complex in it. The serum also five other active ingredients; Portulaca Oleraca Extract, Japanese Lilyturf, Evening Primrose, Sunflower Seed Extract, and Avocado Oils. Portulaca Oleraca Extrac is rich in vitamins which calms and adds moisture back into the skin. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant, and anti-allergy agent. Japanese Lilyturf helps to strengthen skin cell structure against water loss, helping to defend against dehydrations-induced aging and sensitization. Evening Primrose, Sunflower Seed Extract, and Avocado Oil all are rich in phytosterols and essential fatty acids. They help to fortify skin's natural defenses against assaults that trigger redness and itching. They are help to soften and smooth fine lines. Some more product benefits are listed as right here.

"A star product in the system, this silky, super concentrated serum helps treat, correct, and defend skin against inflammation and redness. Helps interrupt inflammatory triggers to prevent flare-ups. Best used everyday on sensitized skin while ideal for flare-ups on all skin conditions. Provides enough hydration for normal to oily skin conditions. Also can be used following cosmetic procedures for calming and soothing skin."

The good aspects of this product are first. The texture is lovely, it is smooth and easily sinks into the skin with no residue or fuss. I used this product twice a day after cleansing my skin and after a few weeks, I did see a reduction in redness but still nothing compares to my Caudalie serum. One day, I did suffer from a major redness flare and this product helped to calm my skin down but it didn't totally reduce the redness and wasn't able to really cool down the heat. One thing that I questioned was the claim that this product was enough hydration for normal to oily skin types. Did this mean that it could be used by itself to moisturize instead of with another product? My skin is drier so I didn't even want to try this out. I kept my skin moist but I did always have to layer it with an additional moisturizer.

I can't really come up with any really bad aspects of this product, it may not be my Caudalie serum but there was nothing wrong with it otherwise. I liked this serum and had I not already been obsessed with Vinoperfect, this one had the potential to be a holy grail serum for me. I like this line overall so far with the serum and the face wash being my favorite products so far and the mask being the last thing that I have yet to use.

 photo courtesy of Dermalogica

No comments: