Tuesday, February 28, 2012

China Glaze The Hunger Games Collection - Captial Colors

China Glaze is releasing a second polish collection for the season in the beginning of March, the swatches of it are currently up on their website but I haven't seen it available anywhere else yet.  This collection coincides with the release of The Hunger Games movie, a film based on the best-selling young adult book.  I have not read the book but I have heard that it falls in the sci-fi genre and that the movie promises to be very true to the book, this is not a genre of book or movie that I am interested that much in so I doubt that I will see the movie when it releases this March.  I would be more likely to try and read through the book to get an idea of the plot and how China Glaze got their inspiration for the nail polish shades that they choose to be part of the collection. 

Let's start with a bit of background first.  I found the book on the Barnes and Noble website (after getting hopelessly distracted by new releases in the Mystery section) and will provide the description they put out on their website.  This title is actually a trilogy and is written by author Suzanne Collins.  I haven't read yet how the movie will be divided up, I hope that it was done the way The Lord of the Rings was.  If the director decides to smash all three books into one movie, there is then no hope for it being any better than fair.  A bit more research on this movie showed me that the film company is only doing the first book in this movie so this is what I will focus on.

The first book in the trilogy is The Hunger Games.  "Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?  In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.  The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.  Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and her younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games.  But Katniss has been close to death before - and survival."

Looking at pictures of this movie, my head immediately goes to the spring 2011 Illamasqua color release, this world look exaclty like many of the pictures that were featured in Toxic Nature.  I guess this makes sense in that both were designed to take place in the future when the world as we know it is completely changed.  These shades are nothing like your traditional spring hues and would look much more appropriate in a fall collection, I would pick up my favorites now and then save them for a few months.  Many of shades have a shimmer or glitter texture and are all very attention getting.  These will be very interesting shades to pull off in a non-party environment.

The Capital Colors collection from China Glaze!

- Dress Me Up - medium rose brown cream
- Foie Gras - medium warm brown plum cream
- Fast Track - medium taupe with warm gold shimmer
- Hook and Line - medium gray frost
- Stone Cold - deep gray matte with silver shimmer
- Smoke and Ashes - pure black with blue and silver shimmer
- Agro - medium olive green shimmer
- Mahogany Magic - medium warm chocolate brown
- Harvest Moon - metallic copper shimmer
- Riveting - bright orange with gold shimmer
- Electrify - clear base with gold and red glitter
- Luxe and Lush - clear base with chunky silver glitter

OMG I love these colors!  I am hearing hints on the Makeup Alley boards that this collection is being spotted in a few Sally Beauty Supply stores already and so I must drive out to mine this week!  I can't even decide which is my favorite shade because I love so many of them and they are all so unique!  I checked out more swatches of these colors on the Scrangie blog and they are all so lovely.  I think that my favorite shade is Harvest Moon, it is the perfect shimmery rich copper shade.  I won't wear it until fall but it still is one of the best colors that I have seen so far this year.  Agro is very unique and would fill a big gap in my polish collection, as would Stone Cold.  I don't know how much wear I would get from these shades but I love both of them (I think that I would use them for pedicures more than manicures as these are not the easiest of shades to pull off).  I actually don't even own a matte polish so Stone Cold would be my first experience in working with this unique texture.  Smoke and Ashes is another shade that will fill a gap in my polish collection and that I must own for this fall.

I still am not that interested in the movie for this collection but I am riveted by the new shades of polish...

photo courtesy of Sally Beauty Supply

No comments: