Thursday, February 16, 2012

Phyto Phyto 7 Daily Hydrating Botanical Cream

I have reviewed many Phyto hair care products on this blog and this is one of the few hair brands that I continue to repurchase products from over and over.  I have been using this line since I first got out of college in 2006 and still continue to faithfully use products from this line.  My favorites are the PhytoCitrus line of color care products and the Phyto 9 Leave In.  Phyto 9 is a god-send this time of the year, with the dry winter air sapping my hair of all moisture and luster.  The last time that I ran out to Sephora to replenish my supply of this leave-in treatment, I discovered that Sephora was sold out of it and I needed to try something else out until it came back in stock.
I thought that my safest bet would be to try another leave-in product from Phyto.  I choose to buy the Phyto 7 Leave-In treatment, a slightly lighter version of the Phyto 9 product that I had been using.  Phyto 9 has nine natural plant extracts and Phyto 7 has two less.  Phyto 7 is included in the collection for dry hair, where Phyto 9 is in the collection for very dry hair.  I expected this product to be a bit less hydrating and I was suprised at how much of a difference the two less botanical ingredients made.

"A daily leave-in treatment for fine to medium-textured hair.  Infused with seven pure and natural plant extracts, this weightless cream instantly hydrates, smoothes, and protects tresses while preventing frizz, static, and split ends.  Hair is left shiny and managable."  The seven active plant extracts are: Mallow, Soybean, Burdock, Rosemary, Sage, Calendula, and Willow.  All of these extracts are used in the product to aid in hydration and helping the hair shaft to retain moisture.

Why the description of this product states that it is for fine to normal hair when it is in the dry hair collection is well beyond me, unless Phyto completely changed their product line around.  Aside from the labeling confusion, this product helped hydrate my hair but wasn't near as hydrating as the Phyto 9.  Phyto 9 is the better of the two products for my hair.  Phyto 7 has a lighter texture, it absorbs into my wet hair quickly and left no residue on my hair shaft.  It helped to hydrate my dry ends, of course it was better than using nothing in my hair but still left a bit to be desired.  I might use this product during the spring and summer months when ny hair isn't as dry and I am not fighting static and flyways. 

Someone with fine or normal hair isn't the target market for a hydrating leave-in, even one that is light and leaves no residue.  This product would be better marketed to people with dry hair as they are the primary purchasers of leave-in creams.  I hope that my Phyto 9 is available the next time that I go to Sephora, this version was a bit too light for my hair this time of the year.  I might revisit it next May since my hair will not be as dry that time of the year.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: