Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment

The Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment might be one of the best loved hair products while being one of the most hated at the exact same time.  Let me explain...this mask hydrates and nourishes like nothing else on the market but smells awful.  Simply awful...and the scent lingers the longest with use of the hair mask.  Ojon is one of the most unique brands on the market today, the entire line uses pure ojon oil to help hydrate and restore dry, damaged hair.   This line started out at a group of products only for very dry, damaged hair and has taken off to include products for every single type of hair issue.
First we will start with a description of the ojon oil and the background behind it.  I found the best description on the Ojon website and that is where I will be pulling the information from.  "Everyday sun, pollution, coloring, harsh chemicals, heat styling, friction from combing, diet, stress, and the natural aging process cause serious damage to your hair, making it limp and lackluster, coarse, dull, tangled, difficult to style and manage.  Now whatever the damage, you can transform your hair to perfect health with Ojon hair treatments formulated with nature's golden elixir.  This 500 year-old beauty secret was discovered by Ojon founder Denis Simioni in the remote regions of the tropical rainforest in Central America.  The velvety-smooth, golden elixir is is obtained from the nut of the native Ojon tree and is hand-extracted according to ancient, eco-friendly traditions.  In one year, a single Ojon tree yields less than 8000 nuts, just enough to produce three cups of this precious natural ingredient.  The purity of this precious oil is what creates its natural affinity for hair.  Whenever pure Ojon oil comes into contact with hair, it helps restore radiance, suppleness, bounce, body, volume, and vibrancy to help repair even the most damaged hair."

The nut oil in this product is really what makes it so unique, Ojon owns the patent on this ingredient so the effects from this line are not available from use of any other product.  It is what makes this hair mask so hydrating and repairitve and also what makes this product smell so bad.  I first bought one of these masks several years ago and bought another one when I ran out, the product can't be beat and I learned to ignore the fragrance of it...

The Restorative Hair Treatment is one of the best known products in the Ojon line and the associate at Sephora told me that she recommends this treatment to anyone that complains of dryness or dullness of their hair.  "This clinically proven cult classic is now purified using an exclusive double-filtration method and is fortified with nature's golden elixir plus Rouge Oleifera to create the next generation of our deeply restorative treatment.  After just one treatment, it restores vibrant health to even the most deeply damaged hair.  Plus helps increase hair's strength against breakage.  Hair is soft, silky, and manageable.  A must-have for lifeless, dull, brittle, frizzy, flyway or unmanagable hair."

I use this product about once a month in the winter and maybe once every two months in the summer.  It is more tolerable in the winter months since it smells very strong and I use it with a hot towel on my head.  I coat my hair from the ears down when I use this product and then put a warm towel around my whole head.  I keep the towel warm for about the next half hour with the use of a hair dryer (see why this is not the best to use during the warm weather?!) and then I rinse it off in the shower.  I usually need at least two washings to get all the residue and the smell out of my hair.  It leaves my hair soft and very shiny for the next few weeks and is worth all the trouble that I go through to use it. 

This product is not recommended for use five days before or after hair coloring as it will affect how the hair shaft keeps the color.  I do have to plan when I use this product pretty carefully since I have plan around colorings and when I have the time to really use this product correctly.  This does make the product much more high maintence than many other deep treatments on the market today but the results are just soooo worth the stress.

I noticed when I was looking at this product on the company's website that they have reformulated a bit since I bought my last jar of it.  The company states that they have lightened the fragrance of the product and I am really excited to buy another jar of this now.  I might have to update this post in a few months since my least favorite part of the product have been changed, I am hopeful that this company hasn't changed any other aspect since this is one of the best deep treatments that I have ever used.

photo courtesy of Ojon

No comments: