Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage

My skin tone insists on me always having a fantastic concealer in my makeup arsenal. All the redness that is in my cheeks demands a high quality, well performing product. I am forever researching concealers from many different brands and will ask the sales associates about the products that they sell when I am buying any type of cosmetic or skincare products at their counter. Laura Mercier's foundations and concealers were recommended to me by a former coworker and this was the choice of the sales associate when I went to the counter at bloomingdales. This product is one of their best sellers and has been a winner in the Allure Best of Beauty.

After a demonstration with the different concealers from this company, I purchased this one and the matching brush. Laura Mercier states that "Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage completely camouflages dark circles, minor imperfections, and discolorations. A unique two-shade system, one to match the skin's depth of color & one to match the skin's undertone. Custom-blend your own perfect shade. High level of pigment requires very little product to achieve complete coverage. Always apply after foundation. Use an an under-eye concealer only if you have darker than average shadows by mixing with Eyedration Firming Eye Cream for a creamier, more emollient consistency". The shade of this product that is best for me is SC-1, which is the palest of the shades. This concealer is made in six shades and the shade to match the undertone can really change the pigmentation of the skin color shade.
I use both the brush that was sold to me with this product and the concealer brush from Bare Escentuals to use this product. I use the brush from Bare Escentuals to do my undereye area and to cover the redness on my cheek area. I always use this product after foundation so that my skin is better hydrated, allowing the concealer to go on easier and not cake. Also with using any concealer after foundation allows you to use less of it because foundation covers much more than many people actually think it does. The first thing that I do when using this product is to dip the flatter Bare Escentuals brush and dip it into undertone matching shade then mix it in with the skintone matching shade. After using this product many times, I have created the perfect mix of the two parts of the product. I dab the product on with the brush then blend it in to fully cover the dark or red areas. For acne, I use the Secret Camouflage brush to dip it right into the skintone matching shade and dot it right on the blemish. I them tap it until it blends in fully.

I have been using this product for about a year and I am maybe 2/3 done with it. So it has lasted a long time and I have gotten lots of use out of it. I have recommended to several people who have been looking for products that deliver great coverage. I recommend this product to anyone who needs a higher level concealer, it would perform for someone which mild skin issues but it would be overkill since that isn't what this product was made for. I do recommend buying the matching Secret Camouflage brush and a flatter concealer brush to use this product properly.

photo courtesy of Laura Mercier

No comments: