Sunday, April 11, 2010

Phyto Phytokarite Ultra-Hydrating Masque

I really should have just stuck to my original favorite masque from Phyto, the PhytoCitrus Masque. But no, in my quest to find and try nevery beauty product on the planet and especially every product for my hair type from Phyto, I decided to give this masque a shot. The Phytokarite masque is specially formulated for ultra-dry and unruly hair so I thought that this product would be a god send for me. Ignoring the rather lukewarm and somewhat negative reviews on Makeup Alley, I decided to purchase this masque and I had very high expectations for it.

"Phytokarite is an intensive that helps rejuvenate and repair very dry, damaged hair by providing it with the essential elements it lacks. Brimming with naturally rich agents, including Shea Butter, Cashew, and Pastel oils, filled with essential fatty acids, Phytokarite nourishes the hair from within. A wood-cellulose derivative with water-binding properties helps maintain the hair's moisture balance. Hydrolyzed keratin coats the hair and makes it easier to detangle, while Tocopherol (Vitamin E), a known anti-oxidant, helps protect hair from external stress factors. The hair is replenished from within, regaining its original softness, suppleness, and shine."

Phyto classified ultradry hair as hair that has been weakened from within with both a dual deficiency in both mositure and lipids (sebum). This dual deficiency alters the hairs' elasticity and suppleness. As a result, it becomes porous and loses certain elements, such as keratin (amino acids). Ultra-dry hair becomes difficult to detangle, is coarse and brittle, and requires replenishing with both nourishing and restoring agents.

The reviews on this product from Makeup Alley are very divided, some love it with a passion and others hate it with equal passion. I really thought that I would love this product for my dry and damaged hair. Well...first I totally hated it but over time, I grew to a slight like and tolerance of it.

The first time that I tried it out, I still had my long hair. It didn't rinse out fully and left me clumpy, tangled hair. I decided to give it another shot. The second time I still had issues with the rinsing and my hair was never improving. I pretty much gave up on the product then. Several months later, I decided to retry the product with my shorter hair. It was much easier to rinse out and made my hair softer but was no miracle product. I didn't notice any real difference in the feel of my hair or its shine level. This deep conditioner isn't the greatest but I like it enough to finsh up the tub that I have and just not repurchase it. I still prefer and would recommend the PhytoCitrus Masque instead.

photo courtesy of Beauty.com

No comments: