Thursday, January 2, 2014

Brand Spotlight January 2014: Bobbi Brown Cosmetics Brand Introduction

Today is the first day of my Brand Spotlight series and I decided that I wanted to start this series off with a brand that I recently starting ordering more and more products from and that I am very excited to try even more from!  I started using Bobbi Brown Cosmetics sometime last summer and I started to realize that I really needed to branch out more in my beauty product shopping.  Bobbi Brown Cosmetics is a brand that has created some of the highest quality products on the market and Bobbi Brown herself was one of the pioneers of the makeup industry in the early 1990s.  Today we will do a general introduction to the brand and some of the background behind the brand and its creator.

I am pulling most of my information from Wikipedia, I was a bit disappointed to see that the company's website did not have a section about the creator and background of the brand but we will make due.

Bobbi Brown was born in 1957 and is an American professional makeup artist and CCO of her namesake brand, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics.  She has written multiple books and articles about beauty and skincare and is well known throughout the industry as a proponent of natural beauty.

"In 1990, Brown worked with a chemist to come up with ten natural lipstick shades.In 1991, the ten shades debuted under the name Bobbi Brown Essentials at Bergdorf Goodman. The following year, she released yellow-toned foundation sticks.  Estée Lauder Companies Inc. bought Bobbi Brown Essentials in 1995; Brown retained complete creative control of the makeup line. In 2007, the first freestanding Bobbi Brown Cosmetics retail store opened in Montclair, New Jersey with a makeup school in the back.  In 2012, Bobbi Brown’s cosmetics were estimated to represent approximately ten percent of Estée Lauder Companies’ total sales.", states the Wikipedia profile on this brand.

This brand is sold in Sephora and nearly every major department store in the world, I have purchased most of the products from Sephora but I do believe that some of the major department stores receive exclusive, limited edition products during the holiday season.  This is brand that sometimes puts out more than one limited edition, seasonal collection and tailors them to more than one big trend of the season.  This line has a larger than usual range of foundation and face product shades and suits nearly every skintone.  Bobbi Brown Cosmetics are more conservative than MAC in their product and shade selections and I tend to wear these makeup products in a more professional environment.

Bobbi Brown started her brand with lipsticks and I will be starting my product reviews with her Lip Gloss formula, I will be puting my first review up in the coming days and we will see how my Brand Spotlight series comes to life!

photo courtesy of Google

No comments: