Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Urban Decay Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Foundation

I have been playing around with two new foundations over the past few weeks, we are looking one of them today and then I will be reviewing one later on in the month as part of the Brand of the Month series.  I typically prefer foundations from either MAC or NARS and I decided that I wanted to try formulas from brands that I love but that I have never bought foundation formulas from before.  Today we are looking at the first of the two foundations that I will be reviewing this month, the formula that is my least favorite of the two and one that I would probably not repurchase again.  I reviewed a lighter coverage and a fuller coverage foundation, today's review is of the lighter of the two formulas.

Urban Decay has been a favorite brand of mine for years and I have used their BB Cream and liked that the formula.  They introduced a new foundation formula about a year ago and it quickly became one of the best selling foundations on the Sephora website.  The Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Foundation was sold out when I was looking for a new foundation late last summer and I had been putting my review on hold until I could finally order my correct shade and really try this one out.  I finally found my correct shade in stock while I was at Sephora buying the other formula and I just decided to buy both of them while I could find the shades that I needed in both.  

"An oil-free, lightweight liquid foundation that feels like wearing nothing at all, while leaving a demi-matte finish.  Urban Decay’s Naked Skin Liquid Makeup leaves skin looking natural, illuminated, and bright with a luminous demi-matte finish: like the beautiful skin you were born with. Light-diffusing spheres provide a visible reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, blurring imperfections for beautifully perfected, ultra-definition skin that looks completely real.  It provides truly buildable coverage with a weightless feel and a luminous finish. And it’s loaded with nourishing ingredients, including: Matrixyl 3000 (a powerful anti-wrinkle peptide), protective and brightening Litchiderm™, antioxidant green tea, and sodium hyaluronate for optimal skin hydration and nutrient absorption. The sleek, hygienic pump provides more control, with less waste of product.", states the Sephora website

Sephora states that this is a "medium" coverage and can be built up as needed for fuller coverage.  I do not agree with this classification, I found this formula to be sheer coverage and then it needed to be build up to a light-medium coverage, two coats of this formula were needed to coverage any red areas of my face and I still found patches of redness to be peeking through on my cheeks throughout the day.  I tend to prefer fuller coverage foundations and I knew within a few days of wearing this formula that I was not going to be a fan of it.  One pump covers my whole face and then I use a second pump in targeted areas.  The texture of this formula is very lightweight and runny, it feels like nothing when applied and I am a fan of the lightweight feel.  This product provides a matte finish to the skin however it clung to a few of the dry patches around my nose and I always have to be very careful when I apply the product in this area.  This product just makes my dry patches look even worse and I might be putting it to the side until my skin gets less dry as the spring season approaches.  I found that it does not wear well throughout the day and clings to my dry patches even more as it wears.

I apply this product with a Beauty Blender and I have found that I needed to use it dry in order to get any coverage from this product.  The biggest downside to this method of application is that the sponge absorbed more product than it should have and I have been burning through my tube of this product.  I have not tried the product with a brush as I dislike applying most liquid formulas in this method.  

There are two aspects of this product that I really like.  The first is the bottle, I love the packaging and the pump on it.  The second aspect that I like about this product is the shade range.  There are about twenty shades of this product and the palest shade works perfectly for my winter skin, I am using Shade 0.5 right now and could probably use Shade 1.0 during the summer.  I can't find a shade match in many shade ranges and I love how nicely this shade works for my complexion.  I wish that Urban Decay had a different foundation formula in this shade range...

I know that many ladies absolutely love this foundation formula but it just isn't for me.  I would recommend this to someone with more normal to oily skin and who doesn't suffer from redness in their complexion.  This would be a good formula for someone who dislikes the "feel" of foundation on the face and tend to like a lighter coverage BB Cream.  This formula doesn't provide enough coverage for the redness in my face and doesn't work with my dry patches and therefore would be much better for someone with a different skin type than me.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: