Saturday, January 11, 2014

Urban Decay Primer Potion Eden

I have been trying a newer version of my favorite Urban Decay Primer Potion and I have to say that I think this version is the best one that I have tried so far.  I have used the traditional Primer Potion for years and I have always gone back to it after trying other formulas.  This company has released multiple special versions of the product but I have always found the original to be the best of the group.  I was on the fence about trying yet another version of the Primer Potion as I always end up preferring the original but I was in the mood to branch out and find a new product to review.  I have been playing around the Lorac eye primer since last month but I wanted to try another formula and see which one I prefer.

The Urban Decay Primer Potion Eden is one of the newer versions of the best-selling Primer Potion and was out of stock on the Sephora website when I originally wanted to order it.  It had been out of stock for so long that I had actually forgotten about it when I started using the my new Lorac eye products and then I decided to order the Urban Decay product once it came back in stock.  I have been using it the past few days and comparing it to the Lorac product, I didn't love the Lorac eye primer so I was looking forward to trying something different.  I was attracted to this version of the Primer Potion as Eden is supposed to resemble more of a concealer finish on the skin and leave a smooth canvas for eye shadow application.

The Sephora website provides the following description of this newer version of the Urban Decay Primer Potion, "A creamy, nude matte primer that gives you vibrant, crease-free eye shadow for 24 hours.  Get a primer with multiple benefits.  This 24-hour wear, crease-free shadow provides vibrant color and smoother application.  Eden, a nude matte shade, glides on effortlessly, reduces the look of redness, and delivers full coverage for a gorgeous, subtle look when worn alone.  Its innovative polymer technology fills in any imperfections on the skin's surface, prepping lids for all day shadow."

I think the first aspect that I love about this product is the newer packaging that it is in, I have always loved the Urban Decay eye primers but have found that the original packaging left a lot of  product left inside the tube.  The newer tube is more a squeeze tube but does not have the doe-foot applicator.  I miss the doe-foot applicator but I love the new tube and I will be able to get all the product out of it, more than making up for the lack of applicator.

The second aspect of this product that I really love is the finish that it leaves on my eyelids, the original formula dries clear but I think that I really prefer the soft matte finish that it leaves on my eye lid skin.  My eye shadows apply very smoothly on top of this product and it fills in any fine lines on my lids before shadow application.  I apply one drop to my finger and this has been enough to apply all over both eyelids, it applies tacky and then dries down to the soft matte finish.  It has a velvet feel while it is drying down and then it fully dries in about 60 seconds.  It does take this formula longer to dry down than the original formula or the Lorac formula that I have just been using.  I find that I like to apply this product once I finish up my foundation and then let it dry while I am applying the rest of my concealer, powder, and brow products.  My first few uses of this product slowed my morning makeup application down and then I found that I needed to change up my routine in order to save time.

I still set my primer with a matte bone shade, I have not yet applied a bright or deep shadow right over this product and I don't plan on trying.  I will continue to set my primer in this fashion no matter what primer I use.  So far, my shadows have been applying very nicely over it.  I have mostly been using the Urban Decay Naked palettes with it, I will be working with the Too Faced Chocolate Bar next week and then I will be finishing my review on that product but I happy to report that the shades that I have used so far have applied nicely and stayed bright all day.  I haven't paired this primer with every shadow and palette that I already own but it is working well with the Naked palettes and I have high hopes that it will work with everything I own.

I never thought I would say this but...Eden is my favorite of the Urban Decay Primer Potions and I will be repurchasing both this one and the original.  This one ranks with my favorite eye shadow primers and I am happy to see that one of the variations on the original product has actually worked for me!

photo courtesy of Urban Decay

No comments: