Friday, January 31, 2014

Fitness Friday - Walking Lunges

One of my goals for Winter Break was to expand my workouts and improve on my leg day moves.  I started with learning and perfecting traditional lunges and now I am moving on to learning Walking Lunges.  I have seen people doing this move all over my gym for the past few months and they have paired this move with weights to help grow upper body strength, I would love to be able to work some minimal lifting into my leg days and see how it improves my back and shoulders.

Walking Lunges are considered to be a "basic lunge with a boost", as stated by the Pop Sugar Fitness website.  They also state that this move works your glutes, hamstrings, and quads plus it helps to stretch your hip flexors.  I tried this move a few times before at the gym and I really need to work on my balance before doing Walking Lunges when there is more than five people present during my workout...

Pop Sugar Fitness also provides a step by step How To for this move...

- Stand upright, feet together, and take a controlled step forward with your right leg, lowering your hips toward the floor by bending both knees to 90-degree angles.  The back knee should point toward but not touch the ground, and your front knee should be directly over the ankle.

- Press your right heel into the ground, and push off with your left foot to bring your left leg forward, stepping with control into a lunge on the other side.  This completes two reps.

- Do three sets of 20 reps each.

This move helps to slim down the legs and build lean muscle, it also helps to increase mobility and overall hip function.  The article states that you can add light weights to increase the difficulty of the moves and I will need to improve my balance before I can try to add weights.

Walking Lunges are my newest workout challenge and I will be adding these into my upcoming leg days!

photo courtesy of Pop Sugar Fitness

No comments: