Saturday, January 8, 2011

Murad Redness Therapy Correcting Moisturizer SPF 15

Normally, I am a Murad lady, I have used many products from this skincare line and had great results. I love Dr. Murad, his research, and all his products. Based on many positive experiences with his Vitamin C and Pomegranate based product lines, I decided to invest in his redness line when I went to Sephora over the holidays. I purchased the mositurizer, face cleanser, and serum and so far I have been using only the moisturizer. And for the first time with this company, I am not happy and am somewhat regretting purchasing this whole collection. Why? Let me explain...

First I want to start with the description of the product from the Sephora website. "A patented, tinted lotion with soothing, moisturizing extracts. Reduces the appearance of red, rough, flaky skin on contact by neutralizing and protecting dry, irritated skin and minimzing the appearance of redness with a color correcting tint. Also shields against sun damage". The three active ingredients in this products are goji berry extract, licorice extract, and peppermint leaf extract. The goji berry is an antioxidant that reduces skin inflammation and helps to protect against free radical damage. The licorice extract helps to reduce surface redness and the peppermint leaf extract helps to relieve discomfort and stinging that is associated with red skin. The formula itself sounds good and I am a big fan of the goji berrry extract in his products. So what are the issues?

My two major issues with this product is the texture and the SPF protection. To start with the texture. This is a lotion formula, I need more of a cream especially this time of the year. This formula felt thinand wtery on application and was quickly absorbed into my skin but within about two hours, my skin has dry against and needed something else. I am thinking that this formula is better suited to someone with oily skin and that Murad might be better off if two hydrators were available in this line. He should keep the lotion for those with oily skin but also make a hydrating cream for those of us with dry skin. A cream in this line would rock my world and make me very happy. My second issue is the SPF, why is this only at a 15?! Most dermatologist recommend at least 30 or higher for more sensitive skin. I would rather this product had nothing SPF in it and then I could layer my own with it instead of only having the SPF 15. Ok, rant over!

What I did like about this product! It helps to control my redness especially in my cheek area and felt very nice on application. I had no issues with my face reacting to it. I like the antioxidant protection that this product offers. I think that I would be much happier just seeing this product in a cream formula and with a different SPF level. Looking at the two reasons that this product didn't work out for me still isn't stopping me from the rest of the Murad line. The wash and serum should be of the same formula and neither of those will have the SPF issues and I can layer them with a thicker hydrator.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: