Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Lipstick

A Chanel lipstick launch should be a national holiday all around the world.  Rouge Coco Lipstick was released last spring and became an instant hit with the beauty world.  Every shade was an instant sell-out at every Chanel counter near me so it took a month or two before I could even get my hands on a tester to play with the formula, I wasn't even able to find it in a color that I really liked.  I thought nothing could out do that launch and the subsequent media hype of the product.  But this spring, Chanel has done it yet again with the release of the Rouge Coco Shine line of lipsticks.  Rouge Coco was a cream finish with an incredible color payoff, Rouge Coco Shine takes these benefits but lightens up the formula a bit with a sheer finish.

I went right to the Chanel website to obtain the information about this new formulation and the shades that it is offered in.  "Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine provides lasting moisturizing shine in a water-light texture.  The formula glides on for easy application, and a unique Hydratendre complex hydrates and softens lips, giving them a healthier and fuller appearance.  Available in a complete range of shades, from delicate beiges to dazzling berries, with a hint of shimmer to enhance a glossy finish."  Many of these shades were inspired by Coco Chanel's home of France and other areas that were dear to her heart.

Here are the shades of this new lipstick...

- Boy - pale cool pink
- Elise - mid tone mauve
- Aventure - bright blue pink
- Unique - mid tone cool plum
- Bonheur - mid tone cool fuchsia
- Fetiche - medium dirty neutral pink
- Romance - cool bright pink
- Chance - light cool pinky mauve
- Canotier - light cool beige
- Liberte - warm light coral
- Sari d'Eau - medium warm peachy coral
- Biarritz - medium cool neutral beige
- Evasion - medium pinky nude
- Bel-Ami - medium dirty plum
- Cavaliere - deep brown shimmer
- Deauville - medium cool brown with a bronze hint
- Monte-Carlo - medium blue red
- Rebelle - medium yellow red

This new formula reminded me very much of the Clinique Butter Shine formula and finish, but with a higher overall quality and better packaging.  The formula is very emollient when applied to the lips and stays cramy throughout wear.  Wear is shorter on this formula then on other Chanel formulas, this one's wear is much closer to that of a lip balm than a traditional lipstick  I tried the tester out on my hand and left it alone to wear off naturally and I got about 2 to 3 hours of wear from it and it rubbed off quite easily and didn't leave any pigment behind.  This is very easy lipstick to ease a lip gloss/lip balm junkie into the realm of lipstick.  The finish is quite sheer and many of the shades can be worn universally. 

My favorite of the shades is Boy, the pale cool pink shade.  This shade was sold out but the sales associate was nice enough to oull out the tester for me to play with and see the color on my hand.  Elise, Evasion, and Chance were also good pink picks for me, however none of the shades were all that unique.  I like both of the red shades but I think that I will only be purchasing Monte-Carlo since that is the blue red shade and I don't own any shades like it currently.  I like Rebelle however I own MAC Ladybug, a sheer yellow red already so I would have to swatch the two shades next to each other to see how alike they are and if the Chanel shade is worth a purchase.  The Monte-Carlo will be since the only blue red that I own is MAC Red, a true cream, full pigment shade. 

I was hopeful that some of the neutrals would work well for me, however I never found that perfect shade the day that I was at the Chanel counter.  I will be keeping my eyes pealed for more nudes from this formula since these shades could be perfect everyday, work-ready lipstick shades.  Chanel lipsticks are always a classic and this new line is no exception...

photo courtesy of Chanel

No comments: