Friday, April 29, 2011

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish SPF 15 Foundation

The foundation that I have been using the past few weeks is a newer formula from MAC and my first foundation from MAC.  I was recommended this foundation at the MAC counter several weeks ago.  I was running low on my last bottle of Prescriptives foundation and I wasn't able to find it on their website to try and order another bottle.  I had to come to the realization that I was going to have to head out and find another foundation to try and replace the Prescriptives formula.  I was using a mineral liquid foundation from that company so I decided to try and find a similar formulation. 

Knowing that I has never used a MAC foundation before, you might be asking why I decided to suddenly try MAC out instead of Clinique (which I have been using for years as foundations).  My interest in MAC stemmed from the many shades that they carry and I was quite confident that I could find a great match to my skin.  I loved Prescriptives service in which they would color match skin and the result of that service was the best foundation shade match ever.  MAC has one of hugest shade range around so this counter looked like a very good place to start.

I picked my shopping time wisely, I went early on a day where I knew that the people at the counter would have the time to help me out.  I started by describing the Prescriptives foundation that I had and how I was trying to find a close formula and a shade match.  I want a medium coverage foundation that was good for sensitive skin.  I wanted a liquid formula that would be good for normal to drier skin.  We were able to narrow it down to several formulas in their collection and then she asked me to describe the previous foundation that I had been using and she decided to start with the Mineralize Skinfinish SPF 15 Foundation and go from there.  This was the best experience that I have ever had at MAC and I was so happy that she took the time to really help me out.

The MAC website provides a description of the formulation.  "A fluid foundation that blends the natural light-reflecting properties of micro-minerals with a smooth satin finish.  Provides a low to medium buildable coverage with a slightly luminous look.  Contains antioxidants Vitamins C and E.  Provides everyday SPF 15 sun protection.  Long-wearing.  Suitable for normal-day skins".  I bought this product in the NC15 shade, the palest shade that this formula is offered in.  This is one of the few foundations that I have ever used that is a near perfect shade for me.

Formula-wise, this is a top-notch foundation.  I actually like this formula more than I liked the Prescriptives, making this my favorite foundation that I have used so far.  This formula is recommended for those who don't need heavy coverage, the description states that it is for light to medium however I place the coverage more at light.  This only gives slightly more coverage than your average tinted moisturizer, making this a great choice for those who don't need full coverage or dislike a heavy feeling on the face.  This product does appear to have a slight sheen (the luminosity, I presume), making it more flattering than a pure matte finish.  This formula wears for about 8 to10 hours and removes quite easily with my face wash at night.  I haven't experienced any redness or irritation from the product and it doesn't dry any area of my face out.  It controls oil for a few hours but I do have to touch up with blotting linens or powder every few hours.

I love the pump bottle of this product, I use exactly one and a half pump and it is enough to cover my whole face and blend down into my neck.  This style of bottle should help to reduce wasted product, since I often felt like I was wiping excess foundation off when I would use the pour bottles.

Are there people that I wouldn't recommend this formula for?  Of course.  Someone with normal to oily skin will not like this foundation and will not find it matte enough.  Also, those who prefer a matte finish instead of satin will not be a fan of this foundation.  With these few exceptions, this is a great formula and I can understand why it was described as a "top rated foundation" at the MAC counter.

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: