Friday, March 30, 2012

Urban Decay Lip Junkie Lip Gloss

I have been talking about my current lip gloss obsession for the past few weeks and now I have been doing some shopping to grow my collection.  This is a great time of the year to add to my makeup collection, Sephora is currently giving all of their V.I.B.s 15% off all their purchases for the next week, I have already made one decent sized purchase and now am trying to avoid the temptation of going back for a second helping in the next few days.  Must remain strong...

I first tried the Lip Junkie Lip Gloss from Urban Decay when a small gloss came for free with the Naked 2 Eye Palette, the Naked shade was included with the palette to complement all of the possible eye makeup looks that this palette provides.  I was so excited for the eye shadow palette that I pushed this gloss aside and vowed that I would come back to it when I had some extra time.  I finally dug it out the other week and began using it for the next few days.  An old formula Urban Decay gloss (named Lip Gunk, I believe) and I fell in love with it back in college.  Alas, this formula is long gone but I still love Urban Decay products and they make up a huge percentage of my makeup collection.

The Lip Junkie Lip Gloss boasts a super shiny formula with a bit of plumping benefits.  From the Urban Decay website, "Get hooked on shine, without the sticky hangover.  Lip Junkie features a soft, luxe texture, stay-put shades and tastes like wedding mints.  Addicted yet?  You want a super-shiny gloss, but can't stand the sticky texture, right?  Wait till you feel the soft, cushiony texture of this gloss!  Lip Junkie stays put longer than other glosses, but never feels gummy or gooey.  It comes in a range of pretty amazing shades (if we do say so ourselves) and the color payoff is amazing.  Take your pick from sheer pretty neutrals, kick-ass brights, or glimmering near-black.  And the flavor?  Think yummy wedding mints...a sweet mint with a little zing that makes breath feel fresh."

This gloss is one of the less sticky products that I have tried over the years, this is a great formula is you hate stickiness on your lips.  The formula applies fairly well, it comes housed in a slant tip tube and I apply a few dots to each of my lips and then rub them together to fully distribute the product.  I saw a slightly plumped appearance to my lips but nothing major.  The gloss looks much deeper in the tube than it actually comes out on the lip, the shades are quite sheer and easier to wear than they look in the tube.  The mint flavor is nice, I prefer mint to most other flavors/scents of lip glosses.  The plumping ingredient didn't irritate my lips or turn them red.  This product is primarily a gloss with a slight plumper to even out lip texture.  This product lasts about one to two hours on the lips, pretty typical for a lip gloss.  It comes off as soon as I drink or eat anything, this product could be longer lasting.  I wish that this gloss lasted longer but I say that about nearly every single gloss formula that I review.

This lip gloss comes in a range of shades but I only really like two of them...a bit disappointing since I really like this gloss formula.  Many of the shades really didn't appeal to me; the pinks were too light and the black shade is just wrong for me.  I received the Naked shade with the Naked 2 Palette and I bought the Jilted shade earlier today.  Naked is a great neutral but Jilted is my favorite of the line, it is a standout deep pink shade.

Here are the available shades in the Lip Junkie Lip Gloss...

- Naked - pinky neutral
- Perversion - sheer black sparkle
- Jilted - deep pink sparkle
- Love Junkie - sheer dark red
- Crush - bright hot pink
- Peroxide - light pink
- Wallflower - nude creamy pink
- Midnight Cowboy - sheer nude sparkle
- Red Light - bright pinky red
- Heavy - dark neutral
- Runaway - medium peach shimmer

Naked has a cream finish and is one of those neutrals that flatters pretty much the whole population.  It is sheer and the best shade to pair with a palette of strong eye makeup shades, it complements virtually any look or skin tone.  This one has no shimmer in the formula so it can be worn easily during the day and in a professional environment.  I can see myself purchasing a full size tube of this shade after the small one that came with my palette runs out.  Jilted is a bit harder to wear, it is very cool and a deep pink sparkle.  It is more pigmented than Naked and is best for nighttime and makes my lips the focal point of my face.  This is a very unique gloss shade and I don't think that I have seen one like this from any other line, I just love this shade.

I was considering purchasing more glosses in this line since I like the formula.  Midnight Cowboy and Perversion were way too pale for me to find attractive, I might be able to pull them off in the winter but not anytime when my skin is tanned.  Red Light and Runaway were much too warm for my skin tone and Heavy was too deep.  Perversion is just not for me...I can't do the black lips look.  Wallflower was the only other shade that I find attractive but it wasn't in stock at Sephora so I will need to go back to look at it over the next few weeks. 

This is a great gloss choice is you like a bit of a plumping effect and lots of pigment.  I love that this product isn't sticky but wish that it stayed around longer.  I am hoping that Urban Decay releases this product is more shades over the next few seasons since I love the formula but don't really like the rest of the shade choices.

photo courtesy of Urban Decay

No comments: