Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Caudalie Lip Conditioner

Over the past few years, I have found a common beauty trend among almost every lady that I have talked to about beauty products.  The one common trend that I have seen over the years is that no matter what type of makeup style you wear or how high maintence you consider, everyone needs a great lip balm and this tends to be one fo the hardest products to find.  I rarely meet two people that love the exact same lip balm and I know so many people that continue to search and search to find their perfect lip balm.  I can honestly say that I haven't found my Holy Grail lip balm yet however Rose Salve is the product that has come the closest so far.  My major complaint with Rose Salve is the package, I hate dipping my finger into the balm and then getting the product all over my hands and this is not a practical product to keep in my purse and use during the day.

I was hoping to find a stick lip balm that is both hydrating and lasts longer than an hour on my lips, I wanted a product that I could carry around with me during the day and use to touch up when I wear a more drying matte lipstick formula.  So far, I have just been using C.O. Bigelow's Mentha Lip Shines but I was hoping to find a product that didn't have a glossy finish and would just hydrate without changing my lipstick finish or shade.  This became a much higher priority for me ever since I have been using the Illamasqua Lipstick formula, a formula that is matte and longwearing but can get very drying throughout the day.  I decided to purchase a new lip balm formula and went with one of the only products that I have never tried from Caudalie.

In addition to all of their skin and body care products, Caudalie makes one lip balm with the same type of anti-oxidant protection that is found in their facial products.  This is one of the top rated lip products on the Sephora website and based on how much I love the brand, I didn't hestitate at all to purchase this product the last time that I went to the store. 

"A total lipcare essential for everyone.  This 99.5 percent natural treatment provides a powerful blend of anti-oxidants and nutrients that protect, hydrate, repair, and soothe dry lips while lending antiaging benefits.  It makes an excellent lipstick base."  This product has two active ingredients, stabilized grape seed polyphenols and shea butter.  The grape seed polyphenols "offer the most powerful anti-oxidants in the vegetal world".  Shea butter "intensively hydrates" the lips and help to maintain their hydration level throughout the day.

This lip balm is pleasantly scented with a light fruity floral fragrance that is only really noticable during application.  I love the fragrance of this product because it reminds of the scent of some of the other Caudalie products but if you like your lip products with very little to no fragrance, this is not the product for you.  The texture itself is more of a waxy texture than a creamy stick, I was honestly expecting a bit more of a creamy texture just based on the other types of products from this company, I wasn't as huge a fan of the texture as I initially thought that I would be, it reminded me of Burt's Bees lip balm instead of a high end hydration product.  With the shea butter listed as one fo the active ingredients, I was expecting a very nourishing creamy stick instead of the waxy texture that was left by the product.  The product performed well in the hydration property but wore off a bit too quickly for my taste, I wanted something that would really last throughout the day. 

This lip balm performed like many of the others on the market, it helped to hydrate and soothe my lips but wore off withing an hour of application.  I am beginning to be convinced that I will never find a stick lip balm formula that is hydrating enough to compete with my Rose Salve, which is such a shame since sticks are what I prefer to keep in my bag throughout the day.  My hugest complaint with this product occured when I tried to use it over lipstick, it took way more product off than I expected that it would and created a cycle of repplication of lipstick.  It left my lips with a rich creamy look to then, I was happy that it didn't create that glossy finish that the Mentha created but it wasn't special enough to warrant me making this product my end all for lip balms.

This is a nice lip balm but I am beginning to think that I will never find a stick lip balm that I really love and is worth ending my lip balm search...

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: