Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Too Faced Primed and Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer

In the summer months, I rely on a good formula face primer more than ever.  This is the time of the year that I give up on foundation and use a combination of BB Cream and bronzer and need to make sure that I have a solid base for the semi-sheer BB Cream, a low quality primer will not set me up for flawless skin and will make my face look as though I have not tried to improve the texture of it.  I have finished up an Urban Decay formula that I liked but didn't really love, that formula was a spray that worked nicely with a foundation but I wanted a creamier formula to use with my BB Cream this summer.  The Sales Associate at Sephora recommended a good formula from Too Faced and I decided to give it a try, I was considering a formula from NARS but really wanted to try something a bit different.  So my latest foundation primer purchase is Too Faced Primed and Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer and I have been playing around with it for about a week now.

The Too Faced formula is slightly thicker than what I am used to and I was a bit afraid that it might be too heavy for the summer months but it hasn't affected my skin during the most humid days of the summer and therefore I think that I should be good for the rest of the summer and then into fall when I go back into using foundation and loose powder as I normally do.  I am liking this formula and having quite a good run with all of the new makeup products that I have bought in the past few weeks.

I bought this product from Sephora but I know that it is available at Ulta if that is where you prefer to do your beauty product shopping.  My goal is to get to the next Sephora 500 point Beauty Insider reward before the end of the summer and so I have been ordering from them more than usual. 

"A makeup primer scientifically formulated to achieve the look of flawless skin without makeup.  This one-of-a-kind makeup primer was scientifically formulated to wear alone or under bronzers and foundation powders for a look of flawless skin without makeup. Vitamins A & C, mulberry extract, and a powerful dose of Retinol virtually banish pores while tired skin is left hydrated, firmer, and detoxified. Primed & Poreless creates the perfect canvas to allow powders, bronzers, and foundations to slide seamlessly on the skin—delivering a flawless and perfectly blended look that stay in place all day. Skin appears brighter, fresher, and younger.  It looks great on any skintone! The nude tone becomes invisible once applied."

I was expecting a white or clear formula so I was a bit surprised when the product squeezed out of the tube and was a deep nude color.  I then warmed the product up in between my palms and then the product turned clear and was very easy to apply.  The formula comes out a bit thick when first squeezed but the formula melts nicely when rubbed in between my palms.  I would not want to use this product without first melting it a bit, I can't see that it would apply well when used straight out of the tube. 

The product applies smoothly to the skin and then blends in easily, this is as easy to apply as many of the thinner formulas on the market.  The sets up my skin for the application of my BB Cream and then using a bit of concealer directly under my eyes.  A base application of this product smoothes any texture issues that my skin is having that day and helps the BB Cream and concealer apply much more smoothly and I have to use less product to cover up the flaws on my skin surface.  The vitamins in the formula help to brighten my skin and I look better after the initial application of the product itself.

I had no idea that the product contained Retinol, I have never heard of a primer containing this ingredient and have only seen it used in night treatments and creams.  I also have not seen this ingredient used in products that are made to be used in the daytime, retinols have the reputation of making skin more sensitive to UV rays and now I am surprised that I haven't had any issues with sun sensitivity or redness.  I honestly cannot believe that the dose in this product can be very large because it would not have been approved for day usage, so I am doubting the claims of Too Faced when they claim "a powerful dose" and feel that there is a very small dose of the ingredient in this primer.

With the claims of the Retinol in this product put aside, I do really like this primer and will be using it for the rest of the summer and then into the winter.  The formula applies well and keeps all of my makeup in place throughout sweating and the hot weather.  It sets the stage for great makeup application and I am loving this product so far.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: