Sunday, October 20, 2013

NARS Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer - Oil Free

Today we are taking a break from thinking about the holidays and reviewing a new primer that I have been using for the past few days.  I have a hard time finding one or two primer formulas that I consider to be "holy grail" as my skin changes so much with the seasons.  I have been using the formula from the NARS for the past few days and this is one of the highest rated primer formulas on Sephora's website so I had very high expectations of it.  I have two major thoughts on this product; the first being that I was expecting a bit too much from this product and the second being that I might love this product in the warmer weather.

NARS Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer - Oil Free is my latest trial in trying to narrow down the perfect primer formula for my skin.  This light, oil-free formula is not what my skin needs at this time of the year and might be a candidate for a great formula next May.  NARS is one of my favorite brands and I would expect that a company that offers such a range of foundation shades and great formulas would offer more than one primer formula. 

"An oil-free gel primer.  This gel primer instantly refines the look of pores, regulates shine, and creates a matte surface to the skin for smooth and long-wearing makeup application. Mineral Powders manage oil in the T-zone while blurring the look of pores, fine lines, and wrinkles.  This product is alcohol free, non-comedogenic, dermatologist tested, synthetic and fragrance free.", states the Sephora website. 

I think I should have tried this formula in warmer weather, my skin will only get drier over the next few months and this formula is just too light for me right now.  This gel formula went on easily and blended well but I would prefer a creamier formula right now.  This formula was easy to layer foundation and powder formulas over but I would have liked something creamier for when I blended my concealer in my under eye area.  To continue using this product at this time of the year, I will need to switch over to a creamier eye cream in order to be able to blend my current concealer formula easily in this area. 

This formula keeps my makeup in place for a full eight hours.  That being said, I think this formula was designed for best use with powder formulas.  I love how nicely my face powder and powder blush blend with it but it doesn't work as nicely with rich, creamy face makeup formulas. 

I do like this formula now but I don't think I will be able to keep using it much longer.  As I stated above, my skin will only get drier as we head closer into winter and I will hit a point where I will need a creamier formula to continue hydration throughout my whole makeup routine.  I think I will need to start looking for another formula soon and then put the rest of this tube aside until next May.  This isn't quite what I had in mind when I just ordered a new primer but I guess I will just have to head back to Sephora and make the best of having to shop again...

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: