Wednesday, October 30, 2013

L'Occitane Cleansing and Softening Shower Oil with Almond Oil

The whole time that I worked at Bath and Body Works in college, we were always getting customers requesting body products with almond in them.  We never carried anything like this so I have always been curious as to what the obsession with almond is.  I have only ever found one brand that carried almond body products and I recently purchased a shower gel to try and understand what the magic of almond is.  The brand that I purchased the almond cleanser from is the French brand L'Occitane and this is the first body product that I have used from them. 

L'Occitane has an entire line of almond products and I decided to start with the cleansing body wash, multiple associates from Sephora suggested this as a great winter body wash for dry skin.  It is not technically a "body wash" as a "cleansing oil".  The Cleansing and Softening Shower Oil with Almond Oil is going to be my morning body wash for the middle of the winter, this is a hydrating product that will help my skin to retain moisture in the worst of the cold weather months.

"A decadent body cleanser that is rich in almond oil and features a foaming oil-to-milk texture that leaves skin satiny-smooth.  Start moisturizing in the shower with this indulgent cleanser. The shower oil contains almond oil, naturally rich in omega 6 fatty acids to help soften the skin. The unique formula transforms into a milky foam upon contact with water, leaving a mouthwatering scent of fresh almonds for a true moment of delight. This oil also makes a great base for shaving.  Almonds are an incredibly delicate fruit to grow: the best almonds require cool air without ever freezing. L'Occitane almonds are sourced from a very special region in Haute Provence, where some of the most delicious and nutritious almonds grow. L'Occitane supports the sustainability of almond trees in the region, as these trees, while difficult to grow, are a staple to the beauty of the Provencal landscape.", states the Sephora website.

I first tried using this like a traditional body wash and used it with a shower pouf.  This was a big mistake as it doesn't foam up and it covered my pouf but never really transferred to my skin.  The second time that I used this was much better.  I poured a bit out into my hands and then rubbed my wet hands together to heat up and distribute the product.  I then used my hands to apply it right to my wet skin.  Once the product had contact with water, it turned into a rich, milky lather on my skin.  It rinses clean and left a slight almond fragrance on my skin. 

I was able to skip the lotion after this product, it didn't strip my skin like traditional body washes and helped to jump start the hydration process right in the shower.  This product will be amazing when my skin gets very dry in the winter months and tends to dry out by the time that I am getting out of the shower in the morning. 

After using this product, I can understand why people love almond oil and the almond fragrance.  I would like to add more products from this line into my body product collection throughout this winter and I look forward to trying more body products from the company to my line up.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: