Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick

I have been reading rave reviews about the new Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick formula, I have never used this type of lipstick formula before but the manager of Sephora told me to try it out when I was lipstick shopping earlier in the summer.  I had the itch to buy more lipstick the other day and visited the MAC counter but nothing was jumping out at me so I decided that I would visit Sephora and see if that same manager happened to be working.  Luckily she was and she remembered my questions from the previous visit.  We had a second discussion on this product and she told me how the product was revamped and renamed from a previous Stila lipstick formula.  She encouraged me to try it again and I decided to pick up a few tubes of it. 

"A highly-pigmented, liquid lipstick that's weightless on the lips and delivers long-lasting coverage.  This creamy, full-coverage lip color provides intense hydration with bold, long-lasting pigment that stays put for up to six hours of continuous wear. Featuring an array of matte and shimmer shades, this lip formula imparts a comfortable texture that feels lightweight on lips, and its color-rich formula does not bleed or transfer. Enriched with vitamin E and avocado oil, Stay All Day® Liquid Lipstick hydrates and softens lips so they look and feel beautiful.", states the Sephora website.

The reviews on this product are all over the place but I do attribute some of this variance to the overall nature of a liquid lipstick.  Liquid lipstick is a great product to impart matte long lasting color with lots of pigment.  This type of finish is not for everyone and not for every occasion.  I love this type of formula when I want my lipstick to stay in place all day and when I want a matte lip.  I have not found any type of liquid lipstick that has the moist look of a traditional cream lipstick and doubt that I ever will. 

I purchased a pink and a red shade in this product and wore the red shade for the first time last Saturday night.  I applied it at 6:00 at night and expected wear until midnight.  There were some great aspects to the wear of this product and then some drawbacks.

The pros of this formula were that is lasted about five hours through sipping a drink and normal conversation.  It was very pigmented when applied and dried down to the same level of pigmentation, my lips looked great all night and I was loving this aspect of it.  The application was slightly off but I am putting this down to not being used to this type of formula.  The formula is on the heavier side and it felt almost "gummy" on my lips when it was drying and through the initial wear period.  It started to feel more comfortable on my lips once I had sipped my drink a few times and it seemed like a bit of excess product wore off.  I did need to bring a separate lip balm along with me for touch ups since any liquid lipstick formula is more drying than any other type of lipstick formula on the market.  My biggest disappointment with this product occurred when I had a midnight snack of a salad.  As soon as the liquid dressing hit my lips and mixed with the formula, the product melted all over my lips and it began to bleed onto my chin.  I was a bit surprised at how fast it melted since it held up wonderfully to the whole rest of the night.  I will need to remember this when I chose what occasions to use these shades for.

The Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick is available in a range of pigmented hues. 

- Fiery - deep red
- Beso - true red
- Tesoro - orange red
- Carina - vibrant coral
- Bellisima - pale neutral pink
- Fiore - hot pink
- Patina - dusty rose
- Amalfi - coral pink
- Bella - bright pink
- Rosa - bubblegum pink

I purchased Beso and Bella to start with.  Both shades give full pigmentation and look exactly the same on my lips as they do in the tube.  I was very happy with the color payoff of the shades.  I would also like to purchase Patina once Sephora has it back in stock, I saw the tester and it is a lovely shade of neutral rose.  I would use that shade for work and could use it all the time. 

This product was a solid introduction to liquid lipstick formulas, I love the pigmentation and color payoff of this type of product.  I would use this formula for times when I wouldn't be eating very much and would only be sipping cocktails or coffee.  I will always need to carry a separate lip balm with me as these types of formulas tend to be drying.  I will keep an eye on Patina and will start to look for more companies that carry this type of lipstick formula.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: