Thursday, June 9, 2011

Five Favorite - Summer Fragrances

I feel like I haven't done a Five Favorite entry in ages.  Today's is about my favorite fragrances to wear in the summer.  I feel like I buy perfumes in spring and summer more than I buy any other time of the year.  Summer fragrances are more fun than any other time of the year and I just love the first few days that I can pull out my favorite fragrances.

My Five Favorite summer fragrances...

Harajuku Lovers G - "Never one to get lost in the crowd, G leads her crew in a white, corseted top and a blue miniskirt a la Alice in Wonderland.  Quirky, unique, and undeniably cool, G is the leader of the pack.  Her scent is an oriental, fruity, gourmand fragrance with notes of fresh coconut, jasmine, and cotton woods."  "Fragrance notes - Mandarin, Coconut, Apple Skin, Jasmine Sambac, Freesia, Magnolia, Coconut Cream, White Sandalwood, Cotton Woods".  This is my current summer fragrance obsession, it is warm and coconuty, without smelling like sunscreen.  It is more sophisticated way to wear coconut fragrances in the summer and take the beach to to the city. 

Marc Jacobs Daisy - "Enter the world of Daisy: fresh and feminine, with a playful innocence.  At the heart of Daisy is a floral with a vintage edge: violet.  Sophisticated, with a touch of whimsy, violet captures the eclectic, vintage flavor of  Marc Jacobs' feminine, edgy designs.  Always elegant, always enchanting - but not too serious - Daisy is a sparkling floral bouquet, spirited and fresh, wrapped in comfort and warmth."  "Fragrance notes - Strawberry, Violet Leaves, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Gardenia, Violet Petals, Jasmine Petals, Musk, Vanilla, White Woods."  This fragrance is a rare find in that it is one of few warm weather fragrances that I can wear to work or out at night.  The violet and the strawberry notes come out the strongest on and I never fail to get compliments on this fragrance every single time that I wear it.  This one has been a staple for me for several years now and I doubt that that will be changing anytime in the near future.

Dior Dior Addict 2 - "Dior Addict 2 begins with a sparkling, alluring burst of fresh feminity, like a sweet bubble of optimisim and energy.  Crisp, clean notes of bergamot, grapefruit, and orange mingle with fresh floral notes and ripe fruits, soothed with warm sandalwood and white musk - this is Dior's baby doll."  "Fragrance notes - Bergamot, Grapefruit, Orange, Freesia, Lily of the Valley, Lotus Flower, Pineapple, Watermelon, Grenadine, Sandalwood, White Musk."  This fragrance is very crisp and quite easy to wear, even in the hottest of weather.  This fragrance starts out very citrusy and then settles down on my skin to be a light floral.  This fragrance is lighter so I find it best for day but it could be worn at night if you prefer a lighter fragrance or if it too warm to wear anything heavier.  This is about as citrus as my fragrances get and this is one of the few that doesn't smell sour on me (the floral notes are sweet enough to balance out the citrus notes).

Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena - "A tropical scent inspired by an island breeze of luscious fruits and crisp citrus."  "Fragrance notes - Sheer Coconut Water, Sandalwood, Musk."  I first used this fragrance when I was in college and I fell in love with it for whole summers at a time.  As soon as May began to roll around, I got this fragrance out of storage and wore it almost every single day until classes started the following September.  This fragrance really represents summer to me and I still continue to purchase it in the Body Splash to this day.  This is one of the few fragrances that I use up a bottle and then head right back out to buy another.  On my skin, this one smells like lime for about half an hour and then settles down to fragrance that is a mix of coconut, vanilla, and sandalwood.  I use the body products that match this fragrance all year round to bring a hint of summer to the dead of winter.

Caudalie Fleur de Vigne - "Homage to the beautiful Grape Blossom, this energizing, delicately fragranced, is drawn from the plants of aromatherapy.  Enriched with essential oils and plant waters rich in oligo-elements, it refreshes and tone.  Non-photosensitizing."  "Fragrance notes - Bergamot, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Blackcurrant Bud, Green Mate, Plant Waters of Grape, Lemon, Orange Sandalwood, Cedar.  Very unique, light fragrance that smells of citrus and grape blossom.  This is the lightest fragrance that I have ever owned and I wouldn't have put up with the lack of staying power to it if I didn't love the fragrance so much.  This one is more on the citrus side but is light enough and with the blend of the grape blossoms, I can pull it off.

Hopefully, I have given you a few new scent ideas.  These are my favorite scents to wear in the summer and I tend to rotate which one of these is my favorite.  If you wish, leave your favorite summer scent in the comments and give me something new to try!

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: