Friday, April 13, 2012

Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa Malibu Wave Spray

I feel like it has been forever since Bath and Body Works has offered hair care products and I have very found memories of using them in college so I always keep my eyes open for them in the current product assortment.  The new Malibu product line from True Blue Spa contains both body and hair products to help create a beachy, relaxed look for the summer season.  I have tried other products like this in the past and the only one that has done anything positive for my hair is the Beach Waves product from Fekkai, the original beach hair product and the one that still continues to set the bar for this type of product.  I have purchased this product and have been using it over the past few days to help refine my curls in loose, beachy waves.

"Have bombshell, beachy hair with our new Malibu Waves texture spray.  With mineral-rich sea salt to boost texture, a stunningly sexy, wonderfully windblown look is yours instantly.  With a UV absorber to help protect hair against environmental damage.  Irresistibly creamy, tropical citrus fragrance."  This product is recommended for use as follows: "Use on dry or damp hair.  Work through hair and use fingers to scrunch and twirl hair for a tousled, un-done, beach-blown style." 

I use this product on wet hair, it performs better on hair that is damp and therefore easier to finger style.  I have a very hard time finger styling my hair when it is dry already, maybe this is easier for someone who has hair with a finer texture than mine.  I have found a very easy way to make this product work and I am so excited to use it when it is very humid in the summer months.  I wash and condition my hair at night and then spary on a leave in conditioner before twisting it up in a bun.  In the morning, I get it out of the bun and then spray this product all over it, scrunching each area of my hair.  I leave my hair to dry naturally and continue to scrunch and refine it over the next hour or two, completing the wavy look. 

The sea salts in this product create a very different texture than most traditional curling sprays, it helps to create and hold the piecey, wavy look.  This product does create volume that I don't really need and I have to watch my scrunching style to make sure that I am not adding too much volume to my hair.  The salts also help to control the volume and I can see this product working very well on anyone with medium to thick hair, I don't know how well it would help to create the beach waves look on someone with fine hair.  One of my favorite aspects of this product is the fragrance, it is a strong tropical scent that I love but may be off-putting to others.  I do wish that certain types of hair and skincare products wouldn't have such a strong added fragrance, it adds little to nothing to the product performance and has the ability to annoy more people than convert them to the product line.

This is a good formula hair product to create loose, beach waves.  This is one of the only formulas that I have ever found that is close in performance to the original product from Fekkai.  I recommend this product be used on damp hair before finger styling, I can't see how well it will really work on dry hair.  I love tropical scented products so the fragrance is a plus for me but this may not be the case for everyone.  Overall, this is a fun, easy product to use in the warm weather and will help to cut out the amount of time that I have to spend on my hair during the heat of the summer months.

photo courtesy of Bath and Body Works

No comments: