Friday, April 6, 2012

MAC Reel Sexy

If you aren't on MAC overload at this point then we will look at the only full color collection that came out this week, Reel Sexy.  Reel Sexy has been the collection that is most widely debated and discussed in the beauty industry, it brings back the limited edition Eye Duos.  The Eye Duos are considered by many to be one of MAC's worst products and it annoys me that they continue to come back collection after collection.  I know that someone must be buying these, otherwise MAC wouldn't continue to re-release them, however I have never found a good reviews of the formula and often times the duos themselves are such odd combinations that I have never been even been tempted to purchase one.  So here we go again with the Duos, if one really appeals to me than I will go to the counter and play with it to see if MAC improved the formula with this collection.

"Our main feature - a cinematic drama starring Ms. Kristen McMenamy, supported by an entire cast of limited edition Dynamic Duo Eye Shadows, Nail Lacquers, Cremesheen Glass, and Mineralize Skinfinish - sublime! Rave reviews all around!"  Kristen McMenamy was one of the big supermodels in the late 80s and early 90s, in fact she is one the originators of the "supermodel" concept and modeled in the huge Versace campaign in 1994.  MAC has done collections with artists and designers so far this spring and now I see that they are expanding out and including supermodels in their creative group...

MAC Reel Sexy!

Dynamic Duo 1: Eye Shadow x 2 - A limited edition Dynamic Duo Eye Shadow starring a hot shade of coral and a handsomely rich plum.  Just what you need when the lights go back up.
- coral with yellow pearl (Veluxe Pearl)/dirty-toned purple (Matte)

Dynamic Duo 2: Eye Shadow x 2 - A cinematic Eye Shadow duo where Royale blue takes the lead while the softer Crystal tells its own story - love, romance, eternal chic!  Limited edition.
- violet duochrome with pearl (Frost)/clean violet (Matte)

Dynamic Duo 3: Eye Shadow x 2 - What dynamic casting!  Teal takes the lead in this limited edition Eye Shadow duo.  Its Reel Sexy co-star Pearled Earth adds contrast with a sparkling touch of frost.
- dirty-toned purple (Veluxe Pearl)/teal blue (Matte)

Dynamic Duo 4: Eye Shadow x 2 - Prep yourself for a cinematic experience that could only be Reel Sexy!  See what happens when two popular returning shades, including Pink Feather, get together for this exciting double feature.
- midtone pink (Satin)/blackened violet (Matte)

Zoom Lash - Major drama.  Lasts all day.  Creamy velvety formula builds density and conditions.  Feels light, supple.  Ultra-sculpted brush has three-sided fibres to embrace and separate each lash, hugging every curve.  Coats in one stroke from root to tip.  No smudging.
- Zoomblack - pure deep black

Eye Kohl - A soft-on pencil liner that lines, defines, and shades the eyes with rich colour and a silky-smooth, matte/pearl finish.  Ophthamologist tested.
- Heirloom - wink of metallic lavender
- Hyacinth - dirtied mid-tone blue
- Resort - deep amethyst plum
- Smolder - intense black

Lipstick - Colour plus texture for the lips.  Stands out on the runway.  Simmers on the street!  What made MAC famous.
- Reel Sexy - light bright coral
- Watch Me Simmer - bright pink-orange
- Pink Popcorn - lavender
- Heroine - bright violet/purple

Cremesheen Glass - A lip finish that fuses the creamy, sheen-filled nature of Cremesheen Lipstick with the shine of MAC Lipglass.  Soft, comfortable, non-sticky.  Applies with a doe-foot applicator.  Use as a top layer to its namesake Lipstick or on its own.
- Private Screening - mid-tone peach
- Cinestyle - mid-tone blue gray violet
- Star Quality - bright orange coral
- Colour Saturation - dark cool wine

Powder Blush - Colour for the cheeks and face.  Various formulas.  Different looks.
- Pink Cult - mid-tone dirty neutral pink
- Magenta - bright magenta

Mineralize Skinfinish - A luxurious velvet-soft powder with high-frost metallic finish.  Smoothes on: adds buffed-up highlights to cheeks, or an overall ultra-deluxe polish to the face.
- Lightscapade - soft candlelit beige with multidimensional shimmer

Nail Lacquer - Revolutionary new high gloss formula.  Three long-wearing finishes - Cream, Sheer, and Frosted.  Visibly different.  Provides no-streak/no-chip finish.  Contains conditioners and UV protection.  Go hi-lacquer!
- Vivid Effect - vivid orange coral
- In the Dark...Purple - vivid violet
- Screening Room - bright mid-tone teal

I can't really say that I like any of the Duos this time around...I don't think that there is one that I even like enough to buy and try out.  One major aspect that I noticed about the Duos is that most of the eye shadows are the Veluxe Pearl or Matte finishes.  These are the two finishes from this company that vary the most in texture and pigment payoff, Veluxe Pearl has a few standout shades but most have major application issues...this might be the reason behind the lack of love for many of the Duos.

I was a bit let down in the lip area of this collection too.  None of the shades really appealed to me and since many of them are already sold out online, I doubt that I will be buying any of these shades.  I have been wanting to play with the Cremesheen Gloss formula since I spied a great shade of pink gloss on one of my friends but nothing from this new collection jumped out at me and made me want to run to the MAC counter.

So what do I like from this collection?  I love the teal nail polish shade and I knew that I would when I first saw the promotional images for the collection.  The other product that I really like is very different than everything else that I currently own in my makeup collection, the Eye Kohl in Heirloom.  I don't own a lavender eye liner and this product would be key in creating a colorful lavender eye look. 

Hopefully some of the May MAC releases really grab me since nothing in the past few collections really motivated me to run to the counter...

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: