Sunday, April 15, 2012

NARS Summer 2012 Collection

One brand that always manages to have one of my favorites among the seasonal collections is NARS and their summer collection has finally been released on the company's website.  Lately I have been collecting and trying out a series of lipsticks from this company and have been preparing a write up on the formulas and shade ranges.  But until I add a few more to my collection, I will content myself by checking out the new summer collection and deciding what items I will need to buy over the new few weeks. 

This summer collection looks very different from the few collections that I have looked at so far and very different from the traditional style of summer collection.  In this collection, I see some of the more traditional warm, summery shades mixed with a group of shades that would be more appropriate for the weeks going into the fall season.  This collection is appears to be a mix of true summer products and shades and ones that would be saved until the very end of the season.  I am not quite sure how I feel about some of the deeper shades in this collection since I wouldn't really wear them until fall and I will need to buy them now in order to avoid sell-out.  I will have to determine what is worth buying early and hoping that it will match what I plan to buy for the fall.  I am a bit on the fence about this collection at the moment...

The newest from NARS!

Trio Eye Shadow - A trio of harmonious color combinations of eye shadow shades.  Worn alone of together, all Trio Eye Shadows feature micro-fine powders that are highly pigmented, longwearing, and crease resistant.  Color glides on smoothly, evenly, and blends effortlessly.  True color application.  Can be applied dry or with a dampened brush for stronger intensity.  Multi-function - use for shading, lining, or highlighting the eyes.
- Ramatuelle - silver/icy peach/apricot

Duo Eye Shadow - Modern, unique, sometimes unexpected color combinations of eye shadow shades.  Worn alone or together, all Duo Eye Shadow shades feature micro-fine powders that are highly pigmented, longwearing, and crease resistant.  Color glides on smoothly, evenly, and blends effortlessly.  The effects can be subtle or smoldering - the options are endless.  True color application.  Can be applied dry or with a dampened brush for stronger intensity.  Multi-funtion - use for shading, lining, or highlighting the eyes.  Classic, neutral, and fashion-forward shade pairings.
- Marie-Galante - iridescent orchid/iridescent regal blue

Sheer Lipstick - A beautifully sheer formula infused with ingredients to improve the condition of the lips.  Sheer, long lasting color pigments have been suspended in this translucent formula to provide a sophisticated shine.  Lightweight formula glides on smoothly.  Lush shade range.  Patented blend of conditioners and antioxidants hydrate, nourish, and protect lips.
- Vendanges - sheer grape

Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - The application of a lipstick combined with the convenience of a pencil in a jumbo crayon design.  Lips are instantly saturated with rich pigments and a velvety matte finish.  The long lasting, non-drying formula is enriched with emollients for a creamy texture, while a combination of unique silicones entures long lasting, seamless color for hours.  Use for lining, all-over lip color, or pairing with another lip product.  Rich, vivid shades.  Enriched with Vitamin E.  Convenient, easy application.
- Never Say Never - lilac rose

Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil - Gorgeously glossy color in a jumbo lip pencil.  Spectacular shine in an innovative, lightweight formula and enriched with Vitamin E plus a blend of moisture-rich hyaluronic spheres that make lips appear fuller.  Ultra smooth, buttery feel on lips.  Contains Vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, and phytosterol esters: ingredients known to moisturize, increase hydration, and improve barrier funcation.  Convenient, easy application.
- Buenos Aires - nude beige pink

Blush - The ultimate authority in blush, NARS offers the industry's most iconic shades for cheeks.  Natural, healthy-looking color that immediately enlivens the complexion.  A light application of even the highest-intensity hues delivers a natural-looking flush.  Silky texture in matte and shimmering shades.  Micronized powder ensures a soft, blendable application.  Iconic NARS shades.
- Liberte - burnished apricot

Pure Matte Lipstick - Bright.  Bold.  Perfectly matte.  This super-rich lipstick provides high-impact payoff: an ultra-pigmented, long-wearing formula that glides on effortlessly with comfortable wear.  Contains Wild Mango Butter, known to provide advanced moisturizing properties to repair dryness and scaling.  Long-wearing application.  Enriched with Vitamin E and acai oil for antioxidant benefits.
- Moscow - strawberry red

Soft Touch Pencil - Soft Touch Shadow Pencils provide easy, portable, long-wearing application.  These jumbo sized pencils have versatile funcationality to shade the lid, line, or highlight the eye.  Smooth, creamy texture delivers a smooth, velvety feel to the eye and make for easy blending and an ideal base for for layering with a powder shadow for increased color intensity.  Portable application.  Smoth, creamy, long-wearing formula.  Easy and seamless blending.  Ideal base for layering with powder eye shadows to increase color intensity.
- Calabria - shimmering plum

Nail Polish - Fashion-forward and classic NARS Nail Polish shades impart incredible luster and prolonged gloss retention with UV protection to prevent polish discoloration.  An advanced polymer system provides extended wear and a durable, chip-resistant finish.  Modern, iconic shades.  Long-wearing, chip-resistant.  Toluene, formaldehyde and DBP free.
- Trouville - seashell pink

This is one of the few collections from NARS that I don't love every single piece of, nor did I think that I would when I first looked at the collection photos.  This might be one of the first seasons in the past few years where I don't go crazy for NARS and add half of the collection to my monthly Most Wanted list.  The only piece that I really like from this collection is the one that I have pictured, the eye shadow trio.  I will use all of the shades in this trio, however I do not see myself pairing the silver with the two warmer neutrals.  I would also like to purchase the Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in the Buenos Aires shade, this will work well for a natural look this summer and then late on against strong eye makeup looks throughout the fall and winter.  The last piece that I will buy for the summer is the nail polish shade, the shimmering pink is exactly what I have been buying recently and I want to add this pretty shade to my collection.

The only piece of the deeper shades that I want is the Pure Matte Lipstick in Moscow, it is a true strawberry red that I will wear at night in the summer months and then will wear a lot during the fall.  The rest of the deeper shades aren't really my cup of tea so I will be skipping over these and looking more at the fall trends before I decide what to add to my collection for that season. 

Not my favorite NARS collection but I still have a few pieces that I would like to pick up from it.  I am more looking forward to the early May release of the NARS and Thakoon Nail Polish line...

photo courtesy of NARS

No comments: