Tuesday, April 24, 2012

NARS Sheer Matte Foundation

The other week I finished the last of my MAC foundation and I decided to expland my knowledge and experience with NARS complexion products.  I use lots of their blush, lip, and eye products and now I wanted to try one of their face products and see if it is the same quality as the rest of their product line.  Well I am very happy to report that the foundation that I used from this line is among one of their best products and one of my favorite foundation formulas that I have tried over the years.  At this point, I really feel like I could use only NARS products and be very happy for the next few years.

I purchased the Sheer Matte formula from their small foundation line, the line from MAC is much more extensive but there are enough products in the NARS line to cover most foundation needs.  I prefer sheer to medium coverage foundations in the spring and summer, while I save the heavier coverage products for the winter months when my skin is more red and dry than usual.  The MAC formula that I just finished was a medium coverage and I wasn't looking for a much different formula this time around.  I had checked out the NARS formula a few months ago when my MAC bottle was running low and the Sheer Matte formula was the product that I decided to purchase when I needed a new bottle.

"An oil-free, soft-matte finish foundation with sheer, buildable coverage that controls shine throughout the day while evening the skin tone.  Replete with skincare benefits and the NARS Complexion Brightening Formula, it leaves skin more luminous, softer, and smoother.  Used daily, Sheer Matte Foundation improves skin's brightness and texture.  For normal, normal to oily, and oily skin types.  Oil-free, absorbs oil and controls shine.  Contains powerful anti-oxidants to protect against damaging free radicals and tumeric extract to improve skin's radiance and tone.  Dermatologist tested.  Non-comedogenic.  Fragrance-free." 

This formula is more of a medium coverage than a sheer coverage, it is slightly on the drier side than many other formulas that I have used.  This is a better formula for using during the warm weather months, I will have to go over to the Sheer Glow formula during the fall and winter months.  Even though it is direr than the MAC formula that I have been using, it applies and blends well.  I use it over Benefit's The Pore-fessional primer and it blends easily and covers very well.  With this formula being slightly on the drying side, I make sure than I moisturize well before using my primer and foundation routine.  While this formula isn't very difficult to work with, I found it slightly more challenging to blend on my cheeks than any other area of my face and primer is a must to easily and quickly blend this formula.  The coverage of this product is very even and works very well to conceal any redness in my cheek area, I have found that I need more less concealer than usual with this formulation and I only use it around my undereye area and on any random blemishes.  This is a top quality formula and is among the best that I have used.

This foundation comes in a range of 20 shades, from very pale to deep.  I purchased the Mont Blanc shade, the second shade in the range.  It is "light with pink undertones".  The two lightest shades aren't very different from each other but I chose the Mont Blanc shade because it had pink undertones and has cooler tones than Siberia which is a mix of pink and yellow undertones and is slightly more neutral than Mont Blanc.  This shade is a current perfect match, however I know that as soon as I begin using self-tanner this match will be wrong.  Based on this fact, I will only be able to use this product for the next month or so before the match is off.

This foundation is a wonderful choice for the spring and summer months for me, but I will go over to the Sheer Glow formula in tha fall (I hope that all shades are the same in that formula).  This formula covers well, with a bit of effort in blending and stays on all day without excess oil breaking through in my T-Zone area.  This is a great foundation for normal to combination skin types, I feel that it might be too heavy for oily skin types.  This is one of the best foundations that I have ever used and I have found yet another winner from NARS.

photo courtesy of NARS

No comments: